Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th July 2008, 03:53 AM
tron_thomas Offline

How to use Emerald Theme Manager with Compiz?

I am using Compiz in Fedora 9 on my Intel Core2 Duo system with an nVidia graphics card.

I just installed the Emerald Theme Manager, and nothing changes when I try to select different themes.

How can I get the Emerald Theme Manager working with Compiz?
Old 28th July 2008, 09:17 AM
joebrueske Offline

I'm having the same problem and I'm working on finding a solution. I'll let you know when I do.
Old 28th July 2008, 09:49 AM
chousho Offline

Hey, make sure you've installed the packages as seen in #2 in this thread
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=173317

After that, go to Applications -> System Tools -> Compiz Fusion Icon
It's definitely not a good idea to talk about any potentially controversial subject where one or more people may potentially—but perhaps not definitely—disagree or have alternate views. The best subjects when discussing with a diversity of people should not tread into any dangerous waters that confirm people are diverse.

Strive for un-provoking discussions about a neutral topic. After all, the most palatable food is that which lacks any seasoning, spices or distinction.
So uninteresting...
Old 28th July 2008, 09:49 AM
joebrueske Offline

Okay, I got it working. It's different than Ubuntu, which is what I'm use to. But I like it this way. You need to get the fusion-icon. There is no RPM and it's not in the repos. So, attached is the icon. That's the easy way to get it. I have found many people use an application called git.
Code:
su -
(password)
yum install git-core
git-clone git://anongit.compiz-fusion.org/users/crdlb/fusion-icon
Once you have the fusion-icon
Code:
cd fusion-icon
make && make install
I found out that I did not have the development package for python installed. If you receive an error from the make install that a directory can't be found in the python directory, install the devel package.
Code:
yum install python-devel python-setuptools-devel
Once that's done, go to System > Personal > Session. Hit +Add. In the name and command spot type the following
Code:
Fusion Icon
/usr/bin/fusion-icon
Restart X but logging out and logging in and there will be this blue box icon on the top panel. Right click on it, that's the fusion-icon. This is how you can quickly manage which manager to use for the gui. Change Window decorator from GTK to Emerald.

I frequently had Emerald crap out on me, or something, so I'd have to run gldesktop in ubuntu or something like that. This is a nice back up on controlling all of this.

COOL huh?! Golly, this is my first time helping some one else out with Linux! WOo hoo! Go me!
Attached Files
File Type: gz fusion-icon.tar.gz (131.6 KB, 177 views)
Old 28th July 2008, 09:54 AM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello:
If you had of searched or even looked at the first page of the How-To Section you would find everything you needed.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12
See http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=173317

BTW I'm glad you got it sorted out, but usually there is a rpm solution available.

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)

Last edited by Seve; 28th July 2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 28th July 2008, 10:05 AM
joebrueske Offline

lol or that. Yeah the easiest solution is usually right in front of your face.
Old 29th July 2008, 05:33 AM
tron_thomas Offline

I think I already have fusion icon installed. When I start up my system it always starts without any window manager, so I have no decorations on my windows and can't move or resize anything.

I always select Compiz Fusion Icon from the Systems Tools menu after clicking on the Gnome icon on the main panel located at the bottom of my screen. This corrects my system and gives me a window manager with decorations so everything works properly.

If I already have Compiz Fusion Icon installed what is needed to get the Emerald Theme Manager working with it?
Old 29th July 2008, 08:23 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Start fusion-icon (if not already running). Right-click on fusion-icon systray applet. Select "Select Window Decorator" from context menu => Emerald. And/or, select "Emerald Theme Manager" to set up Emerald theme(s).

V
Old 29th July 2008, 04:12 PM
Surajprakash Offline

Hello
i done same thing as you said but after clicking fusion-icon my screen is goes reverse. i mean to say all characters are mirror. i cant work on system tray also. and main KDE menu also.

Pl. help
suraj
Old 29th July 2008, 04:39 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajprakash
Hello
i done same thing as you said but after clicking fusion-icon my screen is goes reverse. i mean to say all characters are mirror. i cant work on system tray also. and main KDE menu also.

Pl. help
suraj
Kewl. I don't think I've heard of this one before. How did you manage to do that?

Try:
Press ALT-CTL-Backspace to re-start the X-server. You will be automatically logged out of the desktop. Log in again. Then go visit the "Guides and How-Tos" forum here, and find and read the sticky-threads on Compiz-Fusion installation and usage. Suggest you do so before trying to start Compiz-Fusion again.

V
Old 3rd August 2008, 09:46 PM
tron_thomas Offline

I tried that and it worked. Thanks.

Tags
compiz, emerald, manager, theme