Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th May 2004, 02:03 PM
Pokemonster Offline

Fedora Core1 lockup on install problem

When trying to install Fedora Core 1 on my desktop pc, the installer stops after starting the X part of the installation process.
As soon as it starts, there is a white background and my mouse cursor, which I can move for like 3 seconds and that's it.
I tried booting with "nofb" and "ide=nodma" options, but none of them worked. The installation disks are fine, cause they worked on my laptop...
Fedora Core 2t3 works on my desktop, but that's not an option, because I need Hardware support for my graphics card an I couldn't get it to work under xorg...

My specs:

AMD AthlonXP 1600+
512MB Ram
ATI Radeon 9800Pro
CRT/LCD Monitor (tried both)

Any clues ?
help greatly appreciated :-)
Old 15th May 2004, 04:25 PM
fjleal Offline

I had the same problem on an "old" PII 400 box with an ATI Mobility M6 graphics card. I had to install FC1 in text mode (you can choose it right after booting from the first installation disk, before running X). After installing in text mode, I was then able to boot to X, no problem, and the card was well recognized.
Old 17th May 2004, 04:49 AM
chrishiggi Offline

I have recieved the same problem as well when performing an installation of Fedora. I was able to get farther along in the installation running in text mode but when Fedora tried to boot for the first time it freezes right after it [OK]'s on the enabling of the swap space. I believe this is when it tries to run INIT scripts. Any help or suggestions on how to get my installation to complete would be great.

Tags
core1, fedora, install, lockup, problem