Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Fedora Focus
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Fedora Focus Come in and have a general chat about Fedora and things relating to Fedora.

View Poll Results: Round 3 favorite Fedora background theme?
Gears 7 14.00%
InvinXble 19 38.00%
Neon 3 6.00%
Solar 21 42.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15th September 2008, 11:06 PM
Thetargos Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvoyager
The poll was just added yesterday, I believe.
Not exactly yesterday, but fairly recently, yes.

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 15th September 2008, 11:15 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Hmmmm.

I was really quite excited about the neon theme concept in it's initial stages, but now ... not so much. Whereas it is quite colorful, which I like, I believe it has become far too stylized.

Gears is neatly retro, which has an appeal all its own, but I think InvinXble and solar have more to offer at this stage.

I think, unfortunately, there is a move afoot to remove the blade from InvinXble, which would essentially gut the whole concept.

So ... Alas! While InvinXble has my vote for now, I fear Solar shall eventually win the day.

There's a lot of really great work in all of them though.

Dan
Old 15th September 2008, 11:18 PM
martin.sourada Offline

Based on a post by Luya (who added the poll) on fedora-art-list it was added at Saturday... But, well... a day or two, does not matter much, does it?

I don't know whether I should vote here, since I am member of the Art Team (and made the packages for the four themes in Round 3)... but I'll give you my opinion nevertheless:

Gears: Great concept and I like the "many gears" approach, but to my taste in it's current incarnation it's too busy for a default wallpaper. Btw. it's a result of Nicu's inkscape skills and Mo's gimp skills - a very good example of collaboration

Neon: Interesting, but for my taste too symplistic with too contrastive parts, also too much connected to F9's name

InvinXble: Ye know, I love katana (but don't own one) even though I am against wars/killing/etc. Especially I like how Samuele managed to abstract the katana from the "killing machine" concept and conected it with leaves. I believe katana was (at least in the age of Samurais) much more than a sword. It usually had a strong connection with it's weilder and was a very precious thing, some katanas even had names. Katanas were also frequently believed to chose their owners. Anyway, to cut it short, I believe if we were to use a weapon in Fedora art, katana is probably the only one that could be used there, because it's much more than a weapon.

Solar: An impressive showdown of Samuele's skills with gimp. I also think it would work very nice as a desktop background - the stars are not too many nor too contrastive and does not obscure icons on desktop, the sun is big enough and has just the right amount of detail to not mingle with icons either. Also it feels very calming. And me studying physics cannot pass a (partly abstract) backround with Universe theme without notice

Your freedom ends where others' starts.
It's the same with software => promote GPL.

Registered Linux User: #431562
My blog: Martin's Chronicles

Echo Icon Theme: homepage

Nodoka: homepage

Fedora Core future enhancements?

JID: martin.sourada AT jabber.cz
Old 16th September 2008, 09:19 AM
nicubunu Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvoyager
Just to be clear ... is this the official poll to decide the theme? Or is this just a "which one do you like" discussion?
All the official talk is happening on the "official" channel, which is the mailing list. Read this to learn about how the decision will be made: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Is...nning.22_Theme
Old 16th September 2008, 09:23 AM
nicubunu Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silpheed2K
They did all of this in GIMP?
I'm impressed.. I've always thought GIMP was useful and recently I've even switch over on my windows desktop as well. (I see a lot of people on Tech shows complain and diss GIMP)
GIMP and sometime also Inkscape.
InvinXible is made using as a photo of a real katana (we had some issues with the license for that particular photo).
Old 16th September 2008, 10:04 AM
Thetargos Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicubunu
GIMP and sometime also Inkscape.
InvinXible is made using as a photo of a real katana (we had some issues with the license for that particular photo).
But in the end it was all cleared out by Samuele using a picture of his own Katana, which he licensed under a less restrictive CC license

I've been following all about the Fedora Art-Team (I wish I had some trace of talent, yeah, pun intended regarding Inkscape) and help out the art team, alas I do not seem to be skilled enough to be of any help (at the moment, at least), but I do enjoy reading the latest developments.

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 16th September 2008, 10:22 AM
nicubunu Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetargos
But in the end it was all cleared out by Samuele using a picture of his own Katana, which he licensed under a less restrictive CC license
I am not absolutely sure about that, he provided a photo which does NOT have the same perspective as the sword in the wallpaper.
Old 18th September 2008, 03:21 PM
DennyCrane Offline

Why does Fedora continue to use some of these hideous antiquated icons? (top leftish):

It looks so out of place with all the new graphics used in the installer.
Old 18th September 2008, 03:46 PM
nicubunu Offline

Because the new Echo icon set is not ready... we are tentatively move it as a default in F10 Beta to see how it stands.

And the image you are pointing to is not an actual Anaconda screenshot, but a mockup, based on an old template.
Old 18th September 2008, 03:49 PM
DennyCrane Offline

The same icon was used in F8 and F9 (and I assume F7). The "Computer" icon in the sets that have been used doesn't look like that anymore.

Last edited by DennyCrane; 18th September 2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 18th September 2008, 03:56 PM
nicubunu Offline

Got to bugzilla and fill a bug against firstboot, that icon is not part of the theme, so outside of the control of the Art team.
Old 18th September 2008, 04:09 PM
xen_yasai Offline

Solar is very nice, but InvinXble is my favourite as I like Asian styled artwork.
Old 18th September 2008, 04:41 PM
DennyCrane Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicubunu
Got to bugzilla and fill a bug against firstboot, that icon is not part of the theme, so outside of the control of the Art team.
Alright, alright. Makes me feel "silly" to file a bug report on this. Or was that the idea?

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=462716
Old 18th September 2008, 05:23 PM
nicubunu Offline

Not silly at all, I added my own comment to the bug
Old 18th September 2008, 07:55 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Solar gets my vote, except I think the Anaconda page could be improved if top part of the image was modified a bit:
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/a...ess_mockup.png
I don't like how the same sun graphic appears on the top left and the center... Maybe just have some interweaving rays of lights radiating away from the centre image?

Gears is also very nice though! For the Gears theme, I would try to make the yellow less bright and more of a "rusty" color on this image: http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/t...x-Gears-r2.png
I think the bright yellow would be a bit too distracting.

Firewing1

Last edited by Firewing1; 18th September 2008 at 08:03 PM.
Closed Thread