Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th July 2008, 03:21 PM
James1956 Offline

Unhappy Nvidia NFORCE ck804

I have been working on my sound problem. I was ALSA.org trouble shooting and stopped at this step.

[James@localhost sounds]$ aplay -Dhw:0,0 email.wav
Playing WAVE 'email.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
aplay: set_params:923: Channels count non available

and did this command;

[James@localhost sounds]$ aplay -L
frontARD=CK804,DEV=0
NVidia CK804, NVidia CK804
Front speakers
surround40ARD=CK804,DEV=0
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41ARD=CK804,DEV=0
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50ARD=CK804,DEV=0
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51ARD=CK804,DEV=0
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pulse
PulseAudio Sound Server

I didn't see what to do here from what the alsa document said;

Use the aplay program to test the devices. You need to have a .wav file ready to send to the soundcard. If you don't have a .wav file available you can use mpg123 to convert a .mp3 file to a .wav file; for example, you could use mpg123 -w file.wav file.mp3.

aplay file_name.wav

should play the file via the default pcm-device. If you hear nothing but also do not get an error message, chances are that your sound is just muted. Make sure that "Master" is unmuted using "alsamixer" (use arrow keys and "m") or "alsamixergui" (click on top of the bar). If you get an error message about "permission denied" or similar, then the permissions of the alsa device files are not setup correctly (see ls -l /dev/snd/*). If you get an error message about mismatching sample rates, period sizes, etc, then the wav file you tried to play does not "fit" the PCM device. You can specify a different PCM device via the -D switch. This can be useful to test rear/front outputs or digital outputs:

aplay -Dfront file_name.wav

aplay -Drear file_name.wav

aplay -Dsurround51 file_name.wav

are some examples. Use aplay -L to list all available PCM devices.

You can also try the speaker-test program to test different setups.

I tried front speaker and still got no sound. aplay still error out. I google this error and got nothing. Is this a Hardware problem? I download some nvidia from livna and its' added configuration for screen resolution. I did some researching of nvidia and found some NFORCE 4 drivers, NV_Linux_DRV_PKG_v.1.23, for fedora 6 but I'm not sure the ck804 is in them Nvidia states these drivers are incorparated in kernels 6.2.18. and above. Any other ideas?
Old 17th July 2008, 12:40 AM
James1956 Offline

I think I may have figure this out. On the alsa project page, is my soundcard supported?, direct me to Nvidia. Nvidia show ac97 and then show chipset nforce1 thru nforce4, and driver, docs. Here the first statement

Introduction for Intel 8x0 soundcard

There are two ways of getting Linux drivers to work, you can either compile them into the kernel or build them separately as modules. Read the Kernel-HOWTO for details of how to compile a kernel.

My question is does the Nvidia chipset drivers have audio in them? Can this problem be fix simply?
Old 17th July 2008, 04:23 AM
James1956 Offline

I have found no simply answer. The only way is to compile the kernel because the ck804 is a oss and that has to be in the kernel now ( if I understood the document). I think I will install a sb card. So much for fc9 right out of the box.

Tags
ck804, nforce, nvidia