Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th July 2008, 05:59 PM
Nikobelia Offline

system-config-network and wireless devices

I've got my Marvell-chipset wireless PCMCIA card working in Fedora 9 through ndiswrapper, but there are still a few naggling problems. One of these I haven't been able to configure it through the (sytem-config-)Network program in the GUI - on start-up, I have to run:

./iwconfig wlan2 key open "my key"
./iwconfig wlan2 essid "my essid"

Is there any way to get these settings remembered? This is what iwconfig wlan2 reads at start-up:

wlan2 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:1 Mb/s Sensitivity=-200 dBm
RTS thr=2346 B Fragment thr=2346 B
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

I've had a bit of a look at the "networking" and "network scripts" folders in etc/sysconfig, but I couldn't see any likely settings to be changed and I'm not knowledgeable about linux enough to feel happy changing things there. Trying to activate the device in system-config-network seems to make it drop any settings that have been entered through iwconfig: making a new profile with the same device didn't seem to help either.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Tags
devices, systemconfignetwork, wireless