Old 12th July 2008, 06:43 PM
johnhiem Offline

Fedora 9 hang after first reboot of install

Shuttle XPC B75G
Intel 3.0 GHz Prescott Hyper Threading
2 GB DDR RAM
Visiontek ATI Radeon 2400 Pro HD AGP
Bios Raid 1 with 2 250 GB Maxter Hard drive using on board intel chipset

DVD image test ok, installed Fedora 9 on Raid 1 hard drive. Installation completed with no errors, DVD ejected and pressed enter. System reboot and went to the loading screen and hung at about 75%. Pushed reset and went to loading screen again, clicked on the show detail and saw it hang on "Generating SSH2 RSA Host Key", was something like that. Did a fresh install again and hung at the same place after first reboot. Please help out new to linux, and was using Windows Vista. Thank you.

Last edited by johnhiem; 12th July 2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12th July 2008, 07:48 PM
johnhiem Offline

After numerous attempts of rebooting, it got past the "Generating SSH1 RSA2 Host Key" and now it hangs and "Starting Cups: ". ???
Old 12th July 2008, 08:23 PM
kudzu Offline

Cupsd is the daemon running for the printer so something happens there. A solution is as for a begging to stop that service and examine it later. The easiest way for not letting the service to start is to press i for interactive start up -when shown after kernel and init are loaded- and then when cupsd appears press no and continue if everything loads perfectly you can work with your problem easier. Try this and post what happens... i hope i helped
Old 12th July 2008, 08:45 PM
johnhiem Offline

When entering interactive mode. I hit Y and got to it says echo -n "Start Service Bluetooth" and it hung there before i can type Y. Right before that service was "Start setroubleshootd" so i reboot and this i set that service to No and went to bluetooth and it hung there again. Also i tried reboot reboot again and let it boot normal and it hung and "starting anacron" and rebooted again and this time it hung at "starting cups"...
Old 13th July 2008, 12:01 PM
kudzu Offline

I think that there might be a bigger issue and you may have to install linux again but before that you can try to stop cupsd in another way.
1. When grub boots and tells you which OS you want to choose, choose linux and press "e" (for edit)
2.You will see 3 lines go to the kernel line and at the end add an "1" so it will boot to single user mode.
3.press enter and then "b" to boot with the new option on the kernel
4.in the prompt appeared go to /etc/rc5.d/ and in that directory you will find all the services that run level 5 ( X enviroment) is running
5. You might see that each service starts either with K which stands for kill-do not start- or S (start) so..
6. "ls |grep cups" you will get something like --> "S98cups" and just stop the service with "mv S98cups K98cups" after doing that reboot and post again if there is any problem

Last edited by kudzu; 13th July 2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 14th July 2008, 04:19 PM
Sorcix Offline

I've had exactly the same issue, fedora 9 freezes while booting, at around 75-80%.

I was able to resolve this using interactive startup, and pressing N when the network manager service was started. It looks like this one did something wrong, about a second after it starts, that's why it sometimes freezes at something else. (mostly around the bluetooth/RSA things)

Once booted with interactive mode, I went to the service manager in fedora and disabled the network manager. Now fedora boots normally.

I don't know how this affects the networking in fedora, since I still have to get my wireless card working with ndiswrapper. I have been able to reach the network windows, so I don't know what I disabled exactly.

By the way, installing fedora again didn't solve this issue for me. I also tried using ubuntu and suse, those freezed too. Looks like it's a bug in recent kernels then.

I hope this also works for you!

Sorcix.

Last edited by Sorcix; 14th July 2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 14th July 2008, 06:58 PM
JohnVV Offline

i am not sure for 9 but my 8 install using w.o.w. cable i must have ip6 disabled during the install or i can never get an internet connection and boot will take about 30 to 45 min. for everything to time out (i think 350 sec. for each) it hangs on all network things eth0 ,cups,...

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 14th July 2008, 11:08 PM
johnhiem Offline

thank you all for your input on this issue. Yes, the network manager was causing the hangs for me also. I did updates on the system hoping that it will solve the but it did not. Disabling the IP6 on the install or the boot up process did not help either. I have no issues installing kubutu 8.xx but I have a ATI Raden HD 2400 pro and kubuntu driver is not supported. ATI web site says it's supportt on suse and red hat. But suse hangs towards the end of the automanic configuring process, manuall config does not help. So after all this I'm wondering if my Trendent wireles card is the cause? Or should I use Kubuntu instead since the install went ok with no issues beside the graphic driver? Or hope that there will be a patch soon to fix this....
Old 15th July 2008, 01:09 PM
Sorcix Offline

I have these network cards installed currently:

- SIS191 Onboard Ethernet
- D-Link wireless (DWA-547, chipset AR5416)

I have disabled the onboard ethernet during installation, so I don't think that's causing the trouble here. My wireless card doesn't seem to be working (led isn't burning), but i'll take it out later today and check if that changes anything.

Maybe the networking service freezes because it knows that there is a wireless card in there, but doesn't have a driver for it. I discovered that there is an opensource linux driver for my card, I'm now trying to get it working on my system.

If you get any further with this, let me know.
Old 16th July 2008, 03:07 AM
johnhiem Offline

Ok, the hanging issue was do to my wireless tendnet card (TEW-423pi). I checked Trendnet site and they don't have linux driver for it. Also when the wireless card was removed, my mouse and keyboard was responding slow. It is both plugged in the back of the pc usb 2.0 ports, so I unplugged and plugged into the front expansion usb 1.1 port and it works normal. The I guess 1.1 peripherals are not compatible or something... correct me if I'm wrong please. Also I noticed that there is a little glitch on the task bar, there's a little white square box with in the area of where the volume, clipboard, and stuff are at. Getting close to finally using Fedora just need to fix some issues; usb and the white box on at the right side of the taskbar. Thanks for all of the info again.

Tags
fedora, hang, install, reboot