Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 12th July 2008, 08:25 AM
sptj Offline

Create personalized liveCD image for USB stick (with updates)

I was hoping someone here can point me to a comprehensive and complete article that explains how to make a LiveCD image that can be put on USB stick and used. I would like it to meet the following criteria (I am not sure if it is possible):

* it should be composed of current state rpms (meaning the rpms from updates repo) so it will match a stable installation on my desktop. This will be good because sometimes (rarely but happens) when some packages are updated things breaks, I'd like to be able to just boot from the USB and continue to work while waiting for fix in next update.
* it should be personalized (I should be able to pre-define the mounting points for hdds on the host it will run on). It should also support encrypted disks (as often sensitive data is stored on build in drives and I tend to use the new encryption added to Anaconda.
* I should be able to use home dir overlays

I think this is it.

The use case is very simple: I have a box with set of packages I use and I want to be able to boot on any machine and feel like I am using the box I like. This implies that the regular liveCd images provided by fedora will not do as I use additional rpms and I like to have the updates. I will then use it to boot home, work, cafe, anywhere. Once in a while I would update my box's own installation (local installation on the hard drive) and see if everything is okay and if I really need some updated packages - if yes I will use them and build a new liveCD with the updates and use this new one. This will mean I would also like to be able to keep the overlay as it was in the previous liveCD so not to sync my stuff every time.

Is this possible at all? If not do you think it will be a good proposal to make this possible as part of the fedora project?

If anyone have been doing this or have any idea where I can read detailed information on this I will greatly appreciate such help.

Thanks

P.S the main reason for this is I would like to have exactly the same work environment on all boxes (including ones that do not belong to me and thus I cannot install or change anything on it)
Old 12th July 2008, 08:30 AM
Wayne

Not a Guide or How-to, moved to General Support

Wayne

Tags
create, image, livecd, personalized, stick, updates, usb