<---- template headericclude ----->
xrdp on Fedora9
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    lfdm.net Guest

xrdp on Fedora9

Hello fellows!

I need to install XRDP to remotely access a Fedora9 server meant to be used as a data processing machine, from regular Windows XP Pro SP3 workstations.

I downloaded the source (http://sourceforge.net/projects/xrdp/), compiled and installed it but I cannot get it working.

There are no clear instructions on how to make it work properly. I really would like to use this software(used to work nicely with debian) since no additional software would be required for the operators, so less training and headache for me

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks by advance,

-Damien

joshua_l_johnso Guest

XRDP Config, How to, Tutorial

Installing XRDP on Fedora 10

This document will explain how to install and configure XRDP on Fedora 10. The document will included both GUI and CLI references. The version of XRDP used for this installation is xrdp-0.4.1.

XRDP is a Linux program that allows you to terminal in to Linux from Windows using Remote Desktop Connection (RDP). No additional software is needed on the windows machine. You just put the Linux servers IP address in and press connect. This will take you to the XRDP login screen where you enter you Linux user name and password.

To install and test XRDP you need to complete the following steps.
    1 - Install prerequisite software
    2 - Install XRDP
    3 - Add users
    4 - Configure the firewall
    5 - Start the XRDP server
    6 - RDP to Linux from Windows XP

Step 1 - installing prerequisite software

In the XRDP intall.txt file it list the below prerequisite software that must be installed.
    XRDP - Prerequisites
    gcc and make
    Header files for pam
    Header files for openssl

One prerequisite software is missing in the install.txt for XRDP to work on Fedora. This is the VNC-Server software. If VNC-Server software package is not installed you get to XRDP screen but when you log in, it will give you errors.

You can use the add/remove software utility in Fedora 10 it install the prerequisite software. To do this go to System>Administration>Add/Remove Software. From here you can search for the software packages by typing the software package name into the search box and pressing enter. The search box is labeled with a binocular icon. Once you find the package place a check in box to left of it and continue searching. Once all packages are found press the Apply button. Below are the Fedora 10 software package equivalents that need to be installed.

Fedora 10 packages
    gcc
    make
    pam-devel
    openssl-devel
    vnc-server

If you prefer to install the software via the command line use the below commands. I recommend using the su - command. The dash (-) changes you to the root users home directory and allows you to use the root users path variable. i.e. it will let you use the ifconfig command.

Code:
    su -
    Enter the following to dowload and install all of the above packages.
    Code:
    yum install gcc make pam-devel openssl-devel vnc-server

Step 2 - installing XRDP

To install XRDP you need to download the current version, extract, make and make install it. To download go to Firefox, enter XRDP in the search box, and press enter. You should see the XRDP site first on the list. Click on it to go to the XRDP site. Next click on the download link. This will take you to the source forge XRDP site. it will list the xrdp package. Click on the download link. This takes you to XRDP package download site. Click on xrdp-0.4.1-tar.gz. When the opening xrdp-0.4.1-tar.gx windows comes up select the save to disk radio button and press OK. This will download XRDP.

Below is the link to the XRDP homepage.
    HTML Code:
    http://xrdp.sourceforge.net/
    Locate the xrdp tar.gz file. I found mine in my Download directory. Right click on the xrdp-0.4.1-tar.gz and select extract here. This will extract the file in the current directory.

Open a terminal session. Applications>System Tools>Terminal. You will need to log in as the root and change to extracted XRDP directory. Once here run the make and them the make install command. Below are the commands.
    Code:
    su -
    Enter the following code to make and install XRDP.
    Code:
    cd /home/{user name}/Download/xrdp-0.4.1
    make
    make install

Step 3 - Add users

In order to login through xrdp the user must be a member of the users group. A user can be added to the user group through the Users and Groups utility. To do this go to System>Administration>Users and Groups. From here you can go to the groups tab.

The users group is a system group and by default system users and groups are hidden. To unhide system users and groups go to Edit>Preferences and unselect the hide system users and groups check box and click close. This will display all the groups.

Find the users group, group number 100. Double click it to open the properties window and then select the Group Users Tab. This will list the user in the users group. To add a new user, scroll down until you find the user you want and select the check box next to it and click OK. This will add the selected user to the user group.

Step 4 - Configure the firewall

By default the RDP port 3389 is block by the firewall. In order to access the XRDP login screen the TCP and UDP port 3389 need to be allowed through the firewall. These ports can be enable through the Firewall utility.

To open the Firewall utility goto System>Administration>Firewall. On the left hand side select Other Ports. This with take you to the other ports window where you can add the TCP 3389 and UDP 3389 ports so they will be allowed through the firewall. Select the add+ button to open the add port window. Scroll down until you see port 3389 TCP ms-wbt-server select it and press OK. Next select the add+ button again and select the port 3389 UDP ms-wbt-server and select OK. You should now see both TCP and UDP 3389 port in the allow other port list. Select the Apply button to apply the changes. Select Yes on the conformation screen and then close Firewall utility.

Step 5 - Start the XRDP server

The XRDP program is a stand alone program so you have to start it manualy. Below are the commands to start, stop, and reload the xrdp server. To start the XRDP server at startup you will need to create a script.

To access the xrdp_control.sh command you must be in the /usr/local/xrdp directory.

To start XRDP:
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/xrdp
    ./xrdp_control.sh start
    To stop XRDP:
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/xrdp
    ./xrdp_control.sh stop
    To Reload XRDP:
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/xrdp
    ./xrdp_control.sh start

6 - RDP to Linux from Windows XP

Now that the xrdp server is up, a user in the users group, and the RDP ports have been allowed, you can RDP in to Linux (fedora 10). To RDP in to fedora from Windows XP all you need is RDP (Remote Desktop connection), no other software needs to be installed.

Open RDP, Start>All Programs>Accesories>Remote Desktop Connection, enter the IP address of the Linux server and press connect. This will open the XRDP screen. Enter you Linux user name and password and press OK. This will take you to your Fedora desktop terminal.

If you are currently logged on to fedora this is OK. Fedora treats them as different terminals. So if you open a program on the RDP session the the program will not open on the Linux computer that you are logged into. It treats them totally separate, more like a terminal session and not a desktop sharing session.

campbesj Guest

Excellent instructions

Thanks Joshua your instructions were spot on.
    I got it working in 10 minutes with no problems whatsoever. It would have taken hours without them.

Well done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make this sticky? Might be helpful.

scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I just tried this out. (I don't have any Windows machines, but tried it with rdesktop.) It seems very fast, I wonder how it compares to NXserver.

You should offer them your documentation as the readme is rather sparse, and I could see a newcomer having trouble figuring it out.
    --
    http://srobb.net

campbesj Guest
    I didn't use any documentation other than those posted above by Joshua. I just followed them step by step and it worked. Just use the Windows remote client to log onto the Fedora box. It's a little slower than sitting at the remote machine but not bad at all.

I guess my whole point was that I was impressed to find a set of instructions so correct that I didn't have to do any further research to get the job done.

scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hrm, hope my post didn't come out wrong. I tried Joshua's instructions and they worked perfectly. I didn't even look at the readme.txt till afterwards, when I noted that yes, one could figure it out from there, but, especially for a newcomer, they were rather cryptic.
    --
    http://srobb.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

error -problem connecting

hi all...

I follow all the steps one by one.But it's not connected.the problem showing.
    pls see the problem:

connecting to sesman ip 127.0.0.1 port 3350
    sesman connect ok
    sending login info to sesman
    login successful for display 10
    starting connecting
    connecting to 127.0.0.1 5910
    error -problem connecting

can any body pls help me..

Thanks
    riad

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (moved to EOL) If you're still running F9, this is where those topics belong. If you're running F-11 or F-12, the current versions, please start a new thread, giving specifics.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am using FC4...and how i start a new thread.pls guide me.

Thanks
    riad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: xrdp on Fedora13

In Fedora 13 the only difference is the name of the vncserver you choose on the packet installer but compiling didn`t work. I had to take the package from repos and give the command service xrdp start. I gives you a desktop in english with an english keyboard.
    Last edited by omar silva; 14th July 2010 at 12:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: xrdp on Fedora 13

I followed the steps and I am able to access my linux using remote desktop provided with with windows 7 when I am inside my lan.
    I allowed the port 3389 on my firewall and would like to know how/whjat parameters to use to connect from outside the network.
    Thqnks for your help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: xrdp on Fedora9

You have to register with no-ip or another (free) service that gives you the abbility to have a server on the internet without an ip. I used winxp as server and had to install a programm named duc on it.