Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th June 2008, 09:03 PM
madmatt2024 Offline

Fedora 9, updated now WIFI signal low. newb

Hi, I'm new to Fedora and Linux in general. I wanted to have Linux on my system and when I was given an extra HDD I went for it but now I'm having problems and need help.
I had problems getting a wireless connection using my RT2500 usb adapter. It always said 50% signal and it kept asking for my key after I already inputted it. My friend came over and we easily got it online after installing my old RTL8180 PCI card. After that I installed and removed some stuff using YUM Extender and did some extra updates. Eventually for some reason after a reboot my WIFI signal dropped from 99% to 12%! In trying to fix it I removed some stuff and could not get a connection at all.
I decided to wipe the drive and start over fresh. I installed Fedora 9, Wifi signal was 99%. Installed YUM Extender as root and let it download and install updates. (about 260 of them!) Once the updates were finished I rebooted and logged back in as root. Now my WIFI signal is 4%-12% and I have sometimes have problems getting online. Occasionally the signal will read 99% for a few seconds then drop back down. Removing the antenna from the card also seems to give a better signal for some reason. The Wireless adapter works fine under Win XP so I know it is good. I asked my friend who uses Fedora 8 about it and he doesn't know what went wrong. Can someone please help?
Old 8th July 2008, 05:55 AM
madmatt2024 Offline

Ge thanks guys. Is there any other information I can post to help? I don't exactly know what other info is needed to troubleshoot this.
Old 8th July 2008, 06:19 AM
JEO Offline

Try pressing a key early in the boot sequence to bring up the grub boot menu, then press the down arrow to select the previous kernel and hit enter to boot. See if the old kernel works better or not for your wireless.
Old 8th July 2008, 06:27 AM
madmatt2024 Offline

I tried that before and still had the same problem. I also have since removed the other kernal entries from the boot menu so its not like I can easily try it again.
Old 8th July 2008, 06:52 AM
JEO Offline

If you want to recreate the older kernel entry then post the output of

su -
ls /boot
cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
Old 8th July 2008, 09:43 PM
madmatt2024 Offline

Here it is

config-2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686 lost+found
config-2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686 System.map-2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686
efi System.map-2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686
grub vmlinuz-2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686
initrd-2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686.img vmlinuz-2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686
initrd-2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686.img

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 acpi=off acm=off
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=1
timeout=15
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686.img
title Windows XP
map (hd0) (hd1,1)
map (hd1,1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,1)
chainloader +1
Old 9th July 2008, 01:03 AM
JEO Offline

"2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686"
That version is notoriously bad for wireless drivers also, so it probably won't help, as you said. However, you can try it:

Add the following 4 lines right above the line that says "title Windows XP"

title Fedora (2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686.img

Also since you have it defaulting to boot Windows XP, change "default=1" to "default=2" so it will still default to XP.

Last edited by JEO; 9th July 2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 9th July 2008, 02:27 AM
madmatt2024 Offline

I just tried the other kernel and I still have the same problem. The strange thing is that none of the kernels listed from the ls /boot are the original kernel that FC9 came with.
Old 9th July 2008, 03:40 AM
LarryBeal Offline

What i think is wrong is wireless adaptor card. You might want to check if its compatible with linux in general or its damaged.
Old 9th July 2008, 03:46 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBeal
What i think is wrong is wireless adaptor card. You might want to check if its compatible with linux in general or its damaged.
It is the F9 kernels!

I am having similar issues. Fresh F9 install the Bekin USB wireless device connects fine. Do a yum update to the latest kernel and the device works, sees the network, but it keeps asking for the WPA key. I enter it, it thinks a few minutes and the same window comes back up. Signal strength is also low. I boot into the initial kernel and she connects like now. This sucks...Either go back to F8 or just exclude kernel updates. As it is my son's computer, and he is a dork when it comes to linux and never updates anyway, i am thinking of the later option.
Old 9th July 2008, 04:19 AM
madmatt2024 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBeal
It works under Windows so it isn't damaged and it did work correctly under Fedora until I updated. It still works but now the signal is low.
Old 9th July 2008, 07:29 AM
JEO Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt2024
I just tried the other kernel and I still have the same problem. The strange thing is that none of the kernels listed from the ls /boot are the original kernel that FC9 came with.
Yea, I think it would be a great idea to try the original kernel. You can increase the number of kernels that F9 keeps around after updates by editing the /etc/yum.conf and increase the installonly_limit from the default 2 to a higher number like 5. Then either use the original kernel rpm from the installation media or download it from a mirror like here:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rel...4.fc9.i686.rpm
To install it manually use the command:
su -
rpm -ivh --force kernel-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686.rpm
Old 9th July 2008, 01:31 PM
hyperspace Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
It is the F9 kernels!

I am having similar issues. Fresh F9 install the Belkin USB wireless device connects fine. Do a yum update to the latest kernel and the device works, sees the network, but it keeps asking for the WPA key. I enter it, it thinks a few minutes and the same window comes back up. Signal strength is also low. I boot into the initial kernel and she connects like now. This sucks...Either go back to F8 or just exclude kernel updates. As it is my son's computer, and he is a dork when it comes to linux and never updates anyway, i am thinking of the later option.
I don't know enough about the kernel and how modules are loaded into it but I have done two new fresh installs since the newest kernel was out. After installing and then getting all the new updates, my wireless (3945) works exactly the same as the original kernel. To add to this crazy mix, some individuals using the 3945 wireless, have problems after the updates.

So, it may be something other than the kernel itself.

Registered Linux User #329061
Old 9th July 2008, 01:59 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperspace
I don't know enough about the kernel and how modules are loaded into it but I have done two new fresh installs since the newest kernel was out. After installing and then getting all the new updates, my wireless (3945) works exactly the same as the original kernel. To add to this crazy mix, some individuals using the 3945 wireless, have problems after the updates.

So, it may be something other than the kernel itself.
Yeah, I dont know enough about the kernel myself. The laptop I am typing this on is running a fully updated F9 and the Atheros AR5007 is working flawlessly. But that doesnt mean anything. When I see just one other person with symptoms almost the same as mine, and when I am on a fresh, base default install, with nothing added, and considering the wireless device preforms flawlessly under the first kernel, I am willing to bet it is the new kernel that is making the difference. If it were my computer I suppose I would try to build my own kernel. I have done it before on Gentoo, but it would require a lot of work to figure out what I am doing. A commonality I see is it is USB wireless devices causing problems, and on my computer, also a fresh build and install, I am getting weird USB errors. Everything works except the card reader though.

Oh well, that is Fedora for you. I have been lucky in that I went from FC4 all the way to F9 with nary a problem! I got bit by the i586 kernel thing in FC6 but that was easily fixed. I have dealt with most of the other bugs without losing a beat, but I have never faced an "it just wont work for you, ha ha!" issue with Fedora. I guess my number was up.
Old 9th July 2008, 05:06 PM
hyperspace Offline

I agree with you. I've been fairly lucky, myself. With all the different hardware permutations, BIOS levels, varying installed software, and such; it is very interesting to see how well any Linux distro works in the wild.

Registered Linux User #329061

Tags
fedora, low, newb, signal, updated, wifi