Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th June 2008, 01:21 PM
Night Fire Offline

Rename and change server info ?'s

Thanks for taking the time to read this. So here is what I have. My router gives my Server an IP of 192.168.0.3. When I type in hostname it comes up localhost.localdomain.
I have wordpress set up and running. I got a free dyndns account for linux.dyndns.info.
Now with this all being set up like this every thing is working fine. So my question to all of you would it be better to set up my hostname to what my dyndns account is. What im tring to do is set it up the correct way, I think this is what im tring to say. If so, what would I change the /etc/sysconfig/network and the /etc/hosts to? Also should I change my IP to Static or just leave it the way it is? Last question I have is Mysql. Is there anything I would need to change if I do change the hostname for it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th June 2008, 02:06 AM
marcrblevins Offline

I have the same as you mentioned.
Change both files, /etc/sysconfig/network & /etc/hosts, to
linux.dyndns.info
restart network service or reboot.

Have your router port forward all open ports you plan to use to 192.168.0.3. I hope that IP doesn't change from your router.

If you are not using static IP, then use ddclient service to tell dyndns that your public IP address changed..
Old 29th June 2008, 06:11 PM
Night Fire Offline

Thanks for responding. Now, what about mysql database. Is there something I will need to change on that so my wordpress will still work correct?
Old 29th June 2008, 07:48 PM
marcrblevins Offline

If you see your wordpress working at http://localhost/wordpress, you posted stuff there, those are stored in mysql. If that is settled, then you are ready to use your full rig name as well.

Tags
change, info, rename, server