Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th July 2004, 11:51 AM
Parsec Offline

xorg.conf being overwritten

I've read a few threads about various problems with the Nvidia installers, but does anyone know what causes the changes to xorg.conf to be overwritten?

I installed the Nvidia drivers by downloading the file off the Nvidia website and following the instructions, when the system first booted the graphical desktop looked wrong, as if the LCD monitor was being driven too hard - there was funny colour patches on the screen.

This has now stopped but I've realised the generic NV driver is in effect and the load dri and load glx lines are back in xorg.conf

If I change these things, it just gets put back to how it was
Old 16th July 2004, 01:06 PM
everest Offline

I noticed this as well, if you have x running and you go into display to change the resolution or anything like that it always writes a new xorg.conf so you then need to edit the nvidia drivers back in.
P4 3GHz w/HT | 2GB Ram | GeForceFX 5200 | 120GB+40GB HD's
Old 18th July 2004, 01:35 PM
Parsec Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by everest
I noticed this as well, if you have x running and you go into display to change the resolution or anything like that it always writes a new xorg.conf so you then need to edit the nvidia drivers back in.
I think you're right, have added the Nvidia drivers back into xorg.conf and they now seem to be staying put.

Wonder if this is logged as a bug...
Old 18th July 2004, 06:21 PM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

It's not a necessarily a bug - the utility that changes your resolution will re-write the file with what it's been programmed to do, which does not include "knowledge" of the NVidia drivers. If you want to submit it as an enhancement request, I'd suggest something along the line of having the configuration utility program recognize hand-altered configuration files.
Linux User #28251 (April '93)
Professional Java Geek :cool:

Tags
overwritten, xorgconf