Well, it looks like I may have solved the Grub issue using the instructions in your post as a guide. I did NOT have to modify the /etc/fstab or the /boot/grub/menu.lst.
Here is what I did using a Knoppix 5.1 terminal:
mount /dev/hda3 /media/hda3
mount /dev/hda1 /media/hda3/boot
/sbin/grub /dev/hda --recheck
/sbin/grub << EOF
device (hd0) /dev/hda
(and remove Knoppix CD before reboot).
Note that I needed to use 'hda', and not 'sda'.
I hope that this ***** never happens again! It seems that with every update that Fedora puts out, I need to remember to cross my fingers and hoping that nothing bad happens. This is not the first time I have been burnt with a Fedora update.
Anyhow, Patrox, thank you very much for your help.