Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th June 2008, 04:48 AM
jjesurun Offline

Wireless not working, Help!!!

Hi, i upgraded to F9, and my wireless adapter was working, then i turned the computer off ofr a couple of days and when i turned it on the wireless and the wired internet was not working, it said they were not active, so, i put it through the network manager and the wired connection is working now, but when i try to activate the wireless, which says inactive, it says "ssb device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization." My card is a netgear rangemax wn311b

What can i do? can anybody please help me?

thank you

Last edited by jjesurun; 17th June 2008 at 04:55 AM.
Old 17th June 2008, 05:39 AM
Kre Offline

something similar happened to me also. after installing F9 i rebooted once, everything was ok, i turned of my laptop over night and in the morning the network manager or something began behaving weird. My wireless is ok, but everytime i boot F9 my wired connection, the ethernet, is inactive and i have to activate it manually. After that all is almost ok, just that when i open Firefox it is always in "offline mode" and i have to set manually to online mode. my network connection manager applet says that the ethernet card is unmanaged, altough after the first reboot when installing fedora it's all in perfect order. If i connect to a wireless network it's all ok, Firefox starts normally in online mode.
Old 18th June 2008, 06:17 PM
jjesurun Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kre
something similar happened to me also. after installing F9 i rebooted once, everything was ok, i turned of my laptop over night and in the morning the network manager or something began behaving weird. My wireless is ok, but everytime i boot F9 my wired connection, the ethernet, is inactive and i have to activate it manually. After that all is almost ok, just that when i open Firefox it is always in "offline mode" and i have to set manually to online mode. my network connection manager applet says that the ethernet card is unmanaged, altough after the first reboot when installing fedora it's all in perfect order. If i connect to a wireless network it's all ok, Firefox starts normally in online mode.
thanx for the details, but can u help me solve it???? anybody, every time i restart the network manager it stays the same
Old 18th June 2008, 06:35 PM
jjesurun Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kre
thanx for the details, but can u help me solve it???? anybody, every time i restart the network manager it stays the same
Old 19th June 2008, 02:46 AM
meowdin Offline

.... press the wireless card button?? If the thing is not present you could have ur wireless card switch off or perhaps other reason.. who knows

giving the output for below command usually helps:

lspci

iwconfig

ifconfig
Old 19th June 2008, 12:25 PM
jjesurun Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowdin
.... press the wireless card button?? If the thing is not present you could have ur wireless card switch off or perhaps other reason.. who knows

giving the output for below command usually helps:

lspci

iwconfig

ifconfig
this is what i get when i run those commands

[root@localhost ~]# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/VN800/P4M800CE/Pro Host Bridge
00:00.1 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/VN800/P4M800CE/Pro Host Bridge
00:00.2 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/VN800/P4M800CE/Pro Host Bridge
00:00.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. PT890 Host Bridge
00:00.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/VN800/P4M800CE/Pro Host Bridge
00:00.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/VN800/P4M800CE/Pro Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge
00:08.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43XG (rev 01)
00:0f.0 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)
00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 ISA bridge [KT600/K8T800/K8T890 South]
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UniChrome Pro IGP (rev 01)

[root@localhost ~]# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

pan0 no wireless extensions.

[root@localhost ~]# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:19:21:02:7F:8A
inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::219:21ff:fe02:7f8a/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1333550 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1012045 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1579090325 (1.4 GiB) TX bytes:145875844 (139.1 MiB)
Interrupt:23 Base address:0x8000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:6252 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:6252 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:322332 (314.7 KiB) TX bytes:322332 (314.7 KiB)
Old 19th June 2008, 02:38 PM
mickza Offline

Under Network Device Control check that "activate device when computer starts" for wlan is ticked. I have cured strange problems with this in the past.

Note that the live install does not enable it by default, you must select it during the initial install screens.
Old 19th June 2008, 03:20 PM
jjesurun Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickza
Under Network Device Control check that "activate device when computer starts" for wlan is ticked. I have cured strange problems with this in the past.

Note that the live install does not enable it by default, you must select it during the initial install screens.
it is checked, and still doesn't work
Old 19th June 2008, 03:28 PM
bbfuller Offline

Hello jjesurun

Your problem starts with the command 'iwconfig' not identifying a wireless interface. Usually a card capable of being controlled after it is listed in 'lspci' will appear there.

Is there a mechanical switch on the outside of the case that could have got knocked into the 'off'position? Don't laugh, you would be surprised how often it happens.

Can you specify what you did to get this card to work in the first place in Fedora 9.

For it to work, you would have had to do one of two things. Either cut the broadcom firmware for the card with the 'b43-fwcutter' program or to have installed ndiswrapper. It would help to know which.
Old 19th June 2008, 04:10 PM
dwhitney67 Offline

Which of the following is your wireless card?

Code:
root@localhost ~]# lspci
Depending on which, please verify that your system has loaded the correct kernel driver for it. Use 'lsmod' to verify which drivers are currently loaded.

For the Broadcom, you may be using the bcm43xx driver; for the VT6102, possibly the via-rhine.

Grep for these names when listing the modules that are loaded. For instance:

Code:
$ lsmod | grep bcm43xx
$ lsmod | grep via-rhine
Old 19th June 2008, 04:50 PM
jjesurun Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfuller
Hello jjesurun

Your problem starts with the command 'iwconfig' not identifying a wireless interface. Usually a card capable of being controlled after it is listed in 'lspci' will appear there.

Is there a mechanical switch on the outside of the case that could have got knocked into the 'off'position? Don't laugh, you would be surprised how often it happens.

Can you specify what you did to get this card to work in the first place in Fedora 9.

For it to work, you would have had to do one of two things. Either cut the broadcom firmware for the card with the 'b43-fwcutter' program or to have installed ndiswrapper. It would help to know which.
i installed the card with F6, and i've been upgrading from F6 to F9, when i first upgraded to F9 it didn't work, so i didn't started with the network manager, and then it started working, then, after like a month i turn the machine off for like 3 days and when i turned it off it wasn't working, the wired connection is working through the network manager, but the card doen't work neither way, it doesn't have a switch, is a pci card installed on a desktop.
Old 19th June 2008, 05:02 PM
bbfuller Offline

Hello jjesurun

Your wireless card:

Quote:
appears to be supported by the 'b43' driver built into Fedora. But it would never work directly after install.

You would have either had to cut the firmware or have installed ndiswrapper.

If it was the former, then certain of the Fedora kernels are reputed to have had trouble with the b43 driver, though not using the cards I have.

I would suggest that you select an earlier kernel at boot time (you should have at least two on the Grub boot menu) and see if it still connects then.

Did you do any updating just before you shut the machine down prior to it not working?

If you have installed ndiswrapper to control the card then it will depend on how you obtained ndiswrapper as to whether things need to be done after update.

You must have done one or the other methods of installing software specifically to control the card or it would never have worked. Some of the software to control broadcom cards is not included in the Fedora install.

Please specify what you did to get this card working under Fedora 9 as I asked in my previous post.
Old 19th June 2008, 05:10 PM
jjesurun Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfuller
Hello jjesurun

Your wireless card:

appears to be supported by the 'b43' driver built into Fedora. But it would never work directly after install.

You would have either had to cut the firmware or have installed ndiswrapper.

If it was the former, then certain of the Fedora kernels are reputed to have had trouble with the b43 driver, though not using the cards I have.

I would suggest that you select an earlier kernel at boot time (you should have at least two on the Grub boot menu) and see if it still connects then.

Did you do any updating just before you shut the machine down prior to it not working?

If you have installed ndiswrapper to control the card then it will depend on how you obtained ndiswrapper as to whether things need to be done after update.

You must have done one or the other methods of installing software specifically to control the card or it would never have worked. Some of the software to control broadcom cards is not included in the Fedora install.

Please specify what you did to get this card working under Fedora 9 as I asked in my previous post.
yes, i installed the card with ndiswrapper, and yes i had done and update and dats when i turned it off, now, how and at what part of the boot i can choose a different kernel???
Old 19th June 2008, 05:15 PM
dwhitney67 Offline

Is the b43 driver loaded???
Code:
$ lsmod | grep b43
If it is not, try loading it:
Code:
# modprobe b43
Old 19th June 2008, 05:19 PM
jjesurun Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitney67
Which of the following is your wireless card?

Code:
root@localhost ~]# lspci
Depending on which, please verify that your system has loaded the correct kernel driver for it. Use 'lsmod' to verify which drivers are currently loaded.

For the Broadcom, you may be using the bcm43xx driver; for the VT6102, possibly the via-rhine.

Grep for these names when listing the modules that are loaded. For instance:

Code:
$ lsmod | grep bcm43xx
$ lsmod | grep via-rhine
this is the card 00:08.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43XG (rev 01)

Tags
wireless, working