Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 12th June 2008, 08:41 AM
tsorvoja Offline

Security audit tools

Hi,
I'm looking for good security audit tools to check system security in Unix/Linux environments. I've found nessus to be a good tool, but a tool is needed also to check ssh configurations, file permissions and so on... Any suggestions? It would be necessary to perform these test from remote pc (with ssh for example).

Last edited by tsorvoja; 12th June 2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 12th June 2008, 09:34 AM
savage Offline

Well, I haven't checked it out yet, but yesterday pete_1967 recommended BackTrack as "an excellent distro for white hat cracking", so I guess this will have a large variety of tools that'll help you.

Check it out.
Old 12th June 2008, 11:56 AM
sej7278 Offline

this is what i do as my day job, and i've found nothing works better than some homebrew shell scripts executed over ssh.

nessus, especially the commercial v3 with compliance support is good - you write an xml-type file and it checks things like permissions etc; plus write a nasl script and get it executed over ssh, which is what i originally did before i replaced it all with shell scripts (bit more reliable across platforms).

nmap has a new scripting engine thats getting interesting too.

Tags
audit, security, tools