Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th May 2004, 03:04 AM
RoughEdge Offline

Blank Monitor

Hi there , I am very new to all this Linux stuff and have a problem that I really can't get past. I loaded fedora 1 onto my computer and the installation went great (too easy eh!) but when I go to boot up in grub, i select frdora and after initialsing all the things it does it goes onto a blank screen after it askes if I want an interactive setup . I have looked in previous posts and have tried removing the rhgb, that kinda hlepd as it got me to the something called firstboot.........after that my screen dies. I also got a lot of modprobe errors but the last time I booted up it didn't show any. I am really at my wits end!

I am running and AMD 64 2000+ with 512mb of RAm and an ati radeon 9200 all-in-wonder graphics card.

Dont know if this helps but when I was installing fedora, it detected my graphics card correctly, but couldnt detect my monitor. I dont even know what it is! again any help would be great

Thanks guys
Old 14th May 2004, 09:26 AM
harlekin Offline

plz post ur /etc/X11/XFree86.conf or check the monitor section there.
firstboot gave u a correct graphical interface?
Old 14th May 2004, 02:36 PM
cathal Offline

make sure your actually supoosed to be booting into X. Check /etc/inittab and make sure the run level is set to 5. I got alot of modprobe error before there usually down to a corupt package of some kind.
Old 14th May 2004, 10:11 PM
RoughEdge Offline

THanks guys. I dont know how to boot into a shell to check all these things out without running into monitor troubles. is there a way to get a shell like a recovery mode or something?

Thanks again

P.S. Sorry I took so long to reply but I am working far too much

Tags
blank, monitor