Fedora 9 problems
I think we should a sticky for Fedora 9 problems. A common place to report problems with F9. I'll start by listing the problems I have found and perhaps others can add to the list.
1. The Network Manager does not recognize my NIC card. It is possible to disable the Network Manager and enable Network. I have found it is possible to enable the Network Manager and Network which does work well. However every time Firefox is started the "offline box needs to be unchecked" .
2. From what I understand swap my be encrypted and a random key will be generated every boot. However I found I was required to enter a key and every time I boot I must enter the key.
3. Install/update program half implemented. I would recommend yumex.
4. The workspaces are no longer independent from each other. If a folder is open in workspace 1 and you try to open the same folder in workspace 2. The folder blinks in the task bar and if you click on it you end up back in workspace 1. The same is true for pages open in Firefox.
5. Kmail works fine however no sound is played when a new email arrives. This is the error I get when I open kmail.
Sound server informational message
Error while initializing the sound driver
Device: default can't be opened for playback (Connection refused)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
Sound does work fine in other programs other than kmail.
6. I use Real Player and it works fine, except in one case. I have some real player slide shows and they when I double click on the slide show it starts, but there is no sound. If I click the stop button within real player and click play, I then get sound.
7. Samba swat just doesn't work. When I bring up swat all the fields are blank instead of being filled in with my current configuration. If I fill in all the fields and click "commit" nothing gets written to the file.
8. Sometimes when I login the desktop is blank. I have the upper and lower bars but no files. Sometimes every thing is fine when I login, and after a few hours all the files disappear.
9. When booting about every third time it doesn't resolve my ip address. I can go the network screen and try to activate without success. However if I reboot my ip address is found.