Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th June 2008, 07:44 PM
russoue Offline

Question Cannot connect to wireless LAN (F9, Intel 3945)

I am having problem with connecting to wireless LAN with my F9. I usually connect to wireless LAN in two places: at school and at home. When I had F8, I could log in to my school network using wpa_supplicant. After installing F9, I cannot use wpa_supplicant any more. It fails though I am using the old configuration file which worked successfully.

With the new network manager GUI of F9, I can connect to school LAN but there are two major problems: the connection fails frequently and the speed is too slow. I cannot even connect to my home wireless LAN. With my windows Vista, I can connect everywhere smoothly.

I very much like to switch to Fedora for all my computer uses. But the only thing that is hindering is this problem. I am willing to cooperate with any developer to solve this problem by providing debug information and any other help.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 laptop with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps) wireless card. The network authentication info is below:

Authentication type: Open
Encryption: WEP
EAP type: PEAP
Server certificate root: Secure Server Authentication Authority
Authentication method: EAP-MSCHAP v2

The network manager GUI can successfully list all the available networks. I know few more people in my campus who are willing to start using Linux but are having the same problem. Please help.

Farhan,
University of Texas at Dallas

Last edited by russoue; 4th June 2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 4th June 2008, 09:14 PM
hyperspace Offline

Did you use the Network Manager in F8?

Registered Linux User #329061
Old 4th June 2008, 09:18 PM
russoue Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperspace
Did you use the Network Manager in F8?
In F8 my Network Manager did not even show up. When I clicked on Network Manager in menu, nothing happened. However, in F9, it is working fine.
Old 5th June 2008, 05:20 PM
hyperspace Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by russoue
In F8 my Network Manager did not even show up. When I clicked on Network Manager in menu, nothing happened. However, in F9, it is working fine.
Have you considered disabling the "Network Manager" service and enabling the network service? I had to do this in F9 in order to connect to my wireless network at home.

Old 5th June 2008, 05:29 PM
russoue Offline

I will give it a try today. Hope that works! If I use the "service" utility in the command line should the service name be "Network Manager"? That is, will the following command work?

service Network Manager stop
service network start
Old 5th June 2008, 05:31 PM
hyperspace Offline

Quote:
I will give it a try today. Hope that works! If I use the "service" utility in the command line should the service name be "Network Manager"? That is, will the following command work?

service Network Manager stop
service network start
Yes, this should work. I can't remember but Network Manger may be NetworkManager, one word.

Old 9th June 2008, 05:13 PM
russoue Offline

I tried this but to no avail. Today, at my school, I had to reconnect more than 50 times in less than 2 hours. Is there any way to see any log for that or enable debug information?
Old 10th June 2008, 04:11 PM
russoue Offline

I think I will give up trying to connect to my school and campus housing network because I think it is the problem with the routers. I could connect to a router at a friend's place and my fedora worked perfectly. There were no problem connecting and no connection drops. The speed was superb and the Firefox 3 Beta 5 is simply awesome.
Old 10th June 2008, 07:42 PM
hyperspace Offline

Quote:
I think I will give up trying to connect to my school and campus housing network because I think it is the problem with the routers. I could connect to a router at a friend's place and my fedora worked perfectly. There were no problem connecting and no connection drops. The speed was superb and the Firefox 3 Beta 5 is simply awesome.
Maybe a weak signal on campus or too much traffic.

Old 10th June 2008, 10:15 PM
russoue Offline

No, there is no problem with signal or traffic because when I use Windows Vista I do not have any problem with connection. May be Microsoft is providing support for old buggy routers.

Tags
3945, connect, fc9, intel, lan, wireless