Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st May 2008, 02:52 PM
FergatROn Offline

GParted Not Supporting LVM

Hi,

I'm running Fedora 8 and I want my linux partition to absorb my old Windows partition. I'm finally ready to no longer dual boot. I ran GParted and my linux parition is unknown. It sees the LVM group and it sees my one partition, but that partition within the LVM is unknown. I can format to ext3, but I'm guessing formatting it would erase all my data - thus needing to reinstall everything.

I went to GParted's website and they posted that LVM isn't supported by GParted.

What tool can I use to move my partitions around? I've read in these forums that LVM is SOoo cool, you can move partitions around real easy like, but no one tells you how or mentions any tools. Thanks.

Registered Linux User #410978
Homebrew machine
Biostar TA690GAM2 | nVidia GeForce 9400 GT | AMD Athlon X2 3600+ | 4.0 GiB Mem

Last edited by FergatROn; 31st May 2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 31st May 2008, 02:56 PM
Firewing1 Offline

What version of gparted are you using?
Code:
rpm -q gparted
Firewing1
Old 31st May 2008, 03:09 PM
FergatROn Offline

gparted-0.3.7-1.fc8

Edited: Here's a quick look at my /dev/sda (232.88 GiB)
  • unallocated 1MB
  • /dev/sda1, ntfs, /media/disk, 48.83GB, 34.35GB, 14,8GB, boot
  • /dev/sda2, ntfs, /media/DATA, DATA, 146.48, 105.23GB, 41.26GB
  • unallocated, 3.54MB
  • /dev/sda3, ext3, /boot, /boot, 196.11MB, 25.73MB, 170.38MB
  • /dev/sda4, extended, 37.38GB
  • /dev/sda5, unknown, 37.38BG, lvm
This was done using the default settings during installation.

Homebrew machine

Last edited by FergatROn; 31st May 2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 31st May 2008, 04:08 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Hm, not sure. You're using the latest version so it should support LVM but something isn't adding up... Have you tried using system-config-lvm?
Firewing1
Old 31st May 2008, 04:33 PM
FergatROn Offline

I'm logged in, using "su -", but I get an error message saying "command not found"

Homebrew machine
Old 6th June 2008, 10:31 AM
Orland Offline

I have simmiliar problem. I need to increase my /home partition by 10GB, And i have installed e2fsprogs-1.40.4-2.fc8,
but when i m typing
Code:
[root@localhost Orland]# e2fsadm -L+10G /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01/home
I get following
Code:
bash: e2fsadm: command not found
Old 6th June 2008, 12:33 PM
markkuk Offline

The program to resize ext2/ext3 filesystems is called "resize2fs". Make sure you increase the size of the /home logical volume before resizing the filesystem.
Old 6th June 2008, 12:56 PM
PsyGhost Offline

As I understand it, you don't need the NTFS partition anymore.
What you can do, is to delete the NTFS partition and create a new lvm physical volume instead of it. The new PV can be added to an existing volume group, which will make more space available for the logical partition inside.

If you prefer to use GUI, Fedora/RHEL has a good tool called system-config-lvm.
Old 6th June 2008, 01:25 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

The new Gparted LiveCD does indeed support LVM. It isn't quite obvious at first glance, though. In the upper right corner of the window, select the LVM group from the device selection button list.
Old 6th June 2008, 02:23 PM
Orland Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkuk
The program to resize ext2/ext3 filesystems is called "resize2fs". Make sure you increase the size of the /home logical volume before resizing the filesystem.
Thanks a lot.
Old 22nd June 2008, 01:36 PM
msiple Offline

From what I can determine, it lists LVMs but won't actually reduce them. It goes through the motions of reducing them just like a non-LVM partition but then expands them back to original size when it's done. I didn't try expanding.

This post appears to confirm 0.3.7 does not support LVMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
The new Gparted LiveCD does indeed support LVM. It isn't quite obvious at first glance, though. In the upper right corner of the window, select the LVM group from the device selection button list.

Last edited by msiple; 22nd June 2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Clarify reducing
Old 22nd June 2008, 01:55 PM
scotty38 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Not that it matters (to me) now that I've I've trashed my LVM partitions but have you managed to get it to resize anything? On my system It recognised LVM no problem but I couldn't actually get it to change anything....
Old 22nd June 2008, 02:20 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

Hmmmm.

Actually, no. I discovered the new gparted liveCD after I had already done the shrinking on my laptop through the comand line. So your first hand experience would be far more accurate.
Old 22nd June 2008, 04:08 PM
msiple Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty38
Not that it matters (to me) now that I've I've trashed my LVM partitions but have you managed to get it to resize anything? On my system It recognised LVM no problem but I couldn't actually get it to change anything....
If you mean by GUI, I've not been able to find any utility that'll handle LVM. That said, I've almost shrunk my volume via command line.

Using the steps in this post, I was able to boot from the Knoppix LiveCD, reduce the / filesystem and reduce the / logical volume but, unfortunately, *NOT* reduce the volume group. Every time I try: vgreduce VolGroup00 /dev/sda2, it returns a STILL IN USE error.

I'm guessing that error occurs because vgreduce is trying to actually remove the entire "physical" volume /dev/sda2 from the volume group. It can't do so because there are still two logical volumes (/ and swap) on /dev/sda2 (though they're much smaller than when VolGroup00 was created).

I'm considering adding another "physical" volume to VolGroup00, forcing the LVs to it, deleting /dev/sda2 from VolGroup00, creating a smaller /dev/sda2, adding it to VolGroup00, forcing the LVs back and then deleting the second volume. In essence, the three shell game.

Last edited by msiple; 22nd June 2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 22nd June 2008, 04:18 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

For what it's worth, at this point, If I were involviing a third drive, I'd back my data up to it, then blow away all LVMs and replace them with straight ext3 partitions. They don't expand as well, but they have the benefit of being readily manipulable by third party tools. The only reason I retained a single LVM on one HDD was all the effort I had involved in getting that OS set up perfectly for one use.

By default now I eschew LVM. Might be great on a server farm, a single OS use, but for a simple minded distro hopper like me, it just doesn't cut the mustard.

Dan

Tags
gparted, lvm, supporting