Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd May 2008, 09:43 PM
ReachingFarr Offline

High pitched audio in F9

Audio output from my fresh F9 install seems to be of a higher pitch then it should. This isn't a hiss or an extraneous sound. It just sounds like everyone in videos has been sucking on helium. I can't for the life of me figure this one out.

Below is the line for my integrated audio from lspci. I would post more information right now but I honestly don't know what else would be helpful. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Code:
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 04)
Old 24th May 2008, 02:25 AM
jmihaelx Offline

I am experiencing the exact same problem, with exactly the same audio adapter. Everyone sounds like one of the Chipmunks.

Additionally, when pulseaudio is enabled, the audio is very choppy, as well as being high pitched.

This is a fresh F9 installation.
Old 24th May 2008, 08:48 PM
luceant Offline

Hey ya'll.

Shame on the issue. Actually I'm still laughing from hearing it all.
I've tried playing ogg, mp3, mp4...... well every file I can think of and only to same end. I don't get that choppiness when totem-audio-preview, well previews a mp3 though it still sounds like chipmunks on caffeine.

Have the same audio output from lspci. Fresh install - didn't change anything this time. Using the 32bit ver.

I can't imagine where the problem would be coming from ......... I don't think it's drivers. Let me see if it's some weird usb/irq conflict. Just a thought.

take care,
luceant
Old 24th May 2008, 09:43 PM
luceant Offline

I tried a few live distros that I had laying around. The sound worked perfectly. lol even Fedora live i686 (Gnome and KDE). <---- i'm still scratching my head at that one. They should all be the same base packages, right?

note. for what it might be worth. As Fedora boots the speakers go dat dat dat when udev starts.

-luceant
Old 27th May 2008, 06:12 PM
ReachingFarr Offline

Well ladies and gentleman I think I figured out the problem. This Intel chipset is only able to play sound at 48kHz. This means that when you play something that has a rate of say 44100Hz it is going to sound higher in pitch due to it playing faster. What needs to be done is an /etc/asound.conf file needs to be created that tells ALSA that all sound going to the output needs to be resampled to 48000.

I'm pretty sure that this means that the line `rate 48000` needs to go into the /etc/asound.conf file, but I can't figure out which section to put it into. I thought maybe pcm.!default but I couldn't get it to work. If someone could figure out what to put in that file I would be very grateful.
Old 27th May 2008, 09:07 PM
luceant Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachingFarr
Well ladies and gentleman I think I figured out the problem. This Intel chipset is only able to play sound at 48kHz. This means that when you play something that has a rate of say 44100Hz it is going to sound higher in pitch due to it playing faster. What needs to be done is an /etc/asound.conf file needs to be created that tells ALSA that all sound going to the output needs to be resampled to 48000.

I'm pretty sure that this means that the line `rate 48000` needs to go into the /etc/asound.conf file, but I can't figure out which section to put it into. I thought maybe pcm.!default but I couldn't get it to work. If someone could figure out what to put in that file I would be very grateful.
ReachingFarr, you got me thinking about where it could be. F9 uses pulseaudio to do the main sound management, so I will try there when I get home from town. If i remember right /etc/pulse/daemon.conf has a default-sample-rate line and maybe verifying and editing this will solve the issue.??

I do know that sound works perfectly in ubuntu and the i386 live f9 cd. I'll compare files asap to see what the diff is.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC97 <--- One can look here for info on the AC97 codec. Intel had removed/"upgraded" thier page to display info on the HD Audio.

take care
-luceant

Update: check out http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc#Co...Rates_On_Input There is info on sample rate.

Last edited by luceant; 27th May 2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: update info ... found where to cfg sample in ALSA
Old 27th May 2008, 09:46 PM
ReachingFarr Offline

Well, I changed the line in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and that didn't work. Then I added the lines from that updated link you sent in to /etc/asound.conf and that didn't help either. Good thoughts though.
Old 27th May 2008, 10:21 PM
hammel Offline

Same problems here. Should we to file a bug?
Old 27th May 2008, 11:01 PM
luceant Offline

Where would you file the bug hammel??

I'm not going to be able to compare files until tomorrow but if you want to see what max sample rate the snd supports here's a link http://www.voxforge.org/home/docs/fa...lOegwfG9pdB4rQ

ReachingFarr, it was worth a shot. A little it didn't work or even help.
Old 28th May 2008, 08:09 AM
hammel Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by luceant
Where would you file the bug hammel??
I'm not sure if it is a (bug) of pulseaudio, but normally here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com
Old 28th May 2008, 03:29 PM
tuxcore Offline

Thought I had it.

I thought I had the problem solved but it turns out I didn't. It seems like the music I had ripped before in Fedora 8 is subject to the helium charged performance. Anything that I have ripped in Fedora 9 seemed to play back at the normal rate. Should I re-rip my music, or otherwise convert it? Or if I re-rip it, will I run into the same issue again later?
Old 28th May 2008, 04:10 PM
hammel Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpearmint
I thought I had the problem solved but it turns out I didn't. It seems like the music I had ripped before in Fedora 8 is subject to the helium charged performance. Anything that I have ripped in Fedora 9 seemed to play back at the normal rate. Should I re-rip my music, or otherwise convert it? Or if I re-rip it, will I run into the same issue again later?
It shouldn't be a problem of ripping.
Old 28th May 2008, 04:16 PM
ReachingFarr Offline

My guess (and this is just a guess) is that when you rip the music under Fedora 9 it is encoding it at 48000 Hz and therefore plays fine for you. The older music is probably at 44100 Hz and therefore you run into this problem. If you re-rip all of your music you will only solve this problem for that music. Anything you download or get that is encoded at 44100 Hz will still have this problem.

To test my hypothesis, I was going to suggest installing transcode/ffmpeg/lame and using them to print out the audio rate of your old files, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get them to simply spit out the information without trying to encode something.
Old 28th May 2008, 04:27 PM
luceant Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachingFarr
My guess (and this is just a guess) is that when you rip the music under Fedora 9 it is encoding it at 48000 Hz and therefore plays fine for you. The older music is probably at 44100 Hz and therefore you run into this problem. If you re-rip all of your music you will only solve this problem for that music. Anything you download or get that is encoded at 44100 Hz will still have this problem.

To test my hypothesis, I was going to suggest installing transcode/ffmpeg/lame and using them to print out the audio rate of your old files, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get them to simply spit out the information without trying to encode something.
So you basicly wanted to output the raw data onto the hd so you can verify that it's an encoding issue? Or did I misunderstand it completely?
Old 28th May 2008, 06:49 PM
thiagobart Offline

Hi,

I tried doing the following:

lame --resample 48kHz music.mp3 music2.mp3

music.mp3 is any mp3 with 44100Hz and lame will resample it to 48000Hz and store in music2.mp3. (You could use -s in case your original mp3 has a different sampling).

Then I tested in audacious using pulseaudio and alsa plugins.

It didn't matter, both songs were high pitched.

Still waiting for a solution :-(

Thiago

Tags
audio, high, pitched