Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st May 2008, 05:44 PM
phkahler Offline

Nouveau driver updates?

I'm running F9 with the 2D nouveau driver supplied on the DVD. All is good except for one bug I've seen (the shipped driver is too old to file a bug against). Are there any plans to package updates for this driver? How often?

Also regarding the 3D component... Is it possible to Yum this? I'd like to test the 3D driver as well by running non-critical 3D apps - say bzflag or neverball (i.e. not desktop effects). I can deal with crashing/unworkable 3D, but not a crashing/unworkable desktop. Is it possible to do this?

Thanks,
PK
Old 22nd May 2008, 03:41 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phkahler
I'm running F9 with the 2D nouveau driver supplied on the DVD. All is good except for one bug I've seen (the shipped driver is too old to file a bug against). Are there any plans to package updates for this driver? How often?

Also regarding the 3D component... Is it possible to Yum this?
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phkahler
I'd like to test the 3D driver as well by running non-critical 3D apps - say bzflag or neverball (i.e. not desktop effects). I can deal with crashing/unworkable 3D, but not a crashing/unworkable desktop. Is it possible to do this?
Yes: download the source code for all components from dri.freedesktop.org git repository and re-compile. Also requires the usual gcc compilers and other development tools. And a selection of magic wands and good luck. See here: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/ and here: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/InstallNouveau

V

Tags
driver, nouveau, updates