Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th May 2008, 03:01 PM
pepribal Offline

FC9 loses DNS config on reboot

I have just installed FC9 in my laptop.

Every time I reboot, I loose DNS configuration. I don't use command line to configure my network, I use the system-config-network GUI from the System menu in Gnome Desktop.

I've unchecked the box for automatic DNS peer. I've even disabled DHCP, giving a fixed IP address. But it keeps losing DNS's.

However, I've finally managed to realize that it was the Network Manager who was doing this, as I've unchecked the "controlled by NetworkManager" box for eth0, and then, DNS's are kept after reboot.

But then, NetworkManager keeps saying that I've got no network connection, and what's more annoying: Firefox starts always offline. So I guess I should keep NetworkManager to control eth0 (as I had in FC8, with no problems at all).

So, my final question: how can I get to tell the NetworkManager to stop changing my DNS settings?

Thanks a lot.
Old 18th May 2008, 03:19 PM
waeras Offline

I have the same problem, everytime I reboot I have to go and activate the ethernet connection again, and my firefox also starts up in offline mode.
Old 22nd December 2008, 02:13 AM
magnon Offline

i am having the same problem is FC10...
i imagine there is a better solution to this than not using the network applet?

any advice?
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:28 PM
umproko5 Offline

Put this DNS1=192.168.0.1 in your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 for example and the Network Manager will pick it up.

substitute 192.168.0.1 with something like 208.67.222.222.

Hope this helps.

/Jason

Tags
config, dns, fc9, loses, reboot