Old 12th May 2008, 05:25 PM
cfehunter Offline

System lockup while transferring files

I've recently installed fedora 8 x86_64 onto my desktop computer:
CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 (2.4ghz x 4)
RAM: 6GB
Video Card: Nvidia 8800 GTS
Hard Drive: 500gb SATA

The problem is that whenever I try to transfer a file to my home folder from anywhere but my Linux partition, if the file is over 500MiB the transfer will freeze somewhere between 500MiBs and 1.5GiB transfered. This occurs whether the transfer is many small files or just one large file.
This is my only problem with using fedora so if anybody can point out why this is happening and how to fix it i would be very grateful.

Things to note:
All hardware has been tested and is fine.
Both windows and openSUSE can copy the files i want from my external hard drive to their respective partitions.
Both drive's i've tried to copy from are formatted with ext3
By lockup i mean the entire system freezes then completely dies, leaving me with a flashing white line on a black screen with no text.

Last edited by cfehunter; 12th May 2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12th May 2008, 08:53 PM
JEO Offline

If OpenSuse always works then I would compare the kernel version numbers between OpenSuse and Fedora to see what the difference is. The command to see the kernel version: type uname -a in a terminal window.
Old 12th May 2008, 09:40 PM
cfehunter Offline

it seems that suse uses an earlier version of the kernel to fedora, suse 10.3 uses 2.6.22.5 and fedora uses 2.6.24.5.
So it could be an issue with the kernel then.
Old 12th May 2008, 10:02 PM
grosminet Offline

Have you read in var/log/messages
Generally , the log could explain "what"
I can transfer file my files my music ITunes Music 40 Go
could you edit your fstab
Old 12th May 2008, 10:27 PM
cfehunter Offline

i should probably point out that i'm not all that experienced with Linux, i've used it for a few months now but i'm not really up to the level where i understand everything yet.

Anyway, i've attatched the entries in my messages file from when i turned on the computer to when it was turned back on after the crash.

I've read through it but i honestly have no idea what i'm looking for in it.
Attached Files
File Type: gz messages.tar.gz (9.2 KB, 106 views)
Old 13th May 2008, 10:17 PM
JEO Offline

Here is a link to the original Fedora 8 x86_64 kernel. It's still not as old as the SUSE but it's one version closer so you could try it to see if there is a difference. To install an older kernel just download the .rpm file to a directory like ~/Download, as root enter the command rpm -ivh --force kernel-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.x86_64.rpm, that will add the old kernel to your list of kernels that you can select at boot time (press a key early during boot to see the list).

http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rel...fc8.x86_64.rpm

Last edited by JEO; 13th May 2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 14th May 2008, 12:59 AM
cfehunter Offline

I've installed fedora 8 again straight from the DVD. It's was working absolutely fine prior to the kernel update. I've copied over my entire backup without error, i tried doing the same again (to a different directory) after the kernel update and it crashed on me, so it is definitely the kernel.

Hopefully it'll be fixed in a later release, the problem is that I cant gather any data on it to submit a bug report, the system locks up and the error message dosn't get written to the messages file. I've tried using a shell script but that dosn't seem to work either.

Does anybody know what version of the kernel f9 has?

And thanks for the help JEO.

Update:
Searched around a little, seems F9 uses 2.6.25, hopefully this one will work. Yum wont let me install the new nvidia drivers on the older version of the kernel.

Last edited by cfehunter; 14th May 2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 14th May 2008, 04:53 PM
cfehunter Offline

After experimenting a little i've figured out that all i needed to do to fix it was to add "acpi=off" to the kernel bootline. Works great now, thanks for the support

Tags
files, lockup, transferring