Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > Alpha - Beta (Fedora 9 Only)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Alpha - Beta (Fedora 9 Only) Post Development Version comments and questions that don't belong in Bugzilla here. These posts will be moved or deleted once the Final version is released

Old 6th May 2008, 12:11 AM
TechDragon Offline

laptop docking station dual monitors?

Hi

Ibm t60 integrated intel gma x3100 video.

Fedora 9 works off of the docking station flawlessly, the problem exists when I plug it into my docking station which has dual 19" monitors attached to it. Fedora boots to the login screen and then kills the monitor with the "cannot display this resolution" error. I have tried changing to a multitude of different resolutions and refresh rates but nothing works.

I have been distro hopping trying to find a distro that will simply handle my dual monitor set up. Ubuntu 7.10 did but 8.04 is using the same crappy screen resolution utility that Fedora is, however I was wanting to see if Fedora got it right or if the utility was just to immature to work correctly.

I do not have experience in programming an OS but it sure doesn't seem like it would be so BLANKING difficult to have dual screen capability. Windows has done it since back in the 98 days. Also, external NTFS formatted hard drives are an issue. Suse 11 uses them, it handles my dual monitors but the sound is broken. Ubuntu 8.04 everything works but the dual monitor capability. I am hoping that someone gets it right, I am hoping that it is Fedora 9. Sorry ranting now as I am about to pull out the last three threads of hair that I have.
Old 9th May 2008, 10:41 PM
TechDragon Offline

nobody knows?
Old 13th May 2008, 02:41 AM
ghost_ryder35 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechDragon
nobody knows?
have you tried using
Code:
setup
need to be root to save changes by the way
Old 13th May 2008, 04:53 PM
nimbius Offline

similar situation with my fed8 dell 620 laptop. removal is fine, reconnection causes the system to crash and burn.
The sage does not hoard. The more he helps others, the more he benefits himself, The more he gives to others, the more he gets himself. The Way of Heaven does one good but never does one harm. The Way of the sage is to act but not to compete.

--Lao Tzu
Old 13th May 2008, 05:07 PM
Zero-Override Offline

i have a dual monitor setup running, my suggestion would be to set that up as the default and linux will disable it temporarily when it doesn't find the second monitor. but that way you can set all the settings for the dual setup

good luck!
Old 13th May 2008, 05:25 PM
TechDragon Offline

Double post, deleted

Last edited by TechDragon; 13th May 2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 13th May 2008, 05:31 PM
TechDragon Offline

Zero-Override, how did you set up your dual monitors? Do you have and intel or ATI chipset integrated into a laptop? I have access to both, are you using a docking station? Can you give me the 1,2,3's of configuration?

Last edited by TechDragon; 13th May 2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 13th May 2008, 05:54 PM
Zero-Override Offline

actually i have an nvidia but i also have an ati (which doesn't use the dual screen setup)

the best thing i can recommend is to start your lappy docked and then start setting up dual monitor it can be QUITE tricky and give quite a few aches

just try and mess with that, it's FAR to long ago for me to even remotely remember what it is that i set up. i can however send you an xorg.conf with a current dual monitor setup? it is from a desktop though but i don't think it will matter all that much
Old 23rd May 2008, 01:57 PM
fromans Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechDragon
Hi

Ibm t60 integrated intel gma x3100 video.

Fedora 9 works off of the docking station flawlessly, the problem exists when I plug it into my docking station which has dual 19" monitors attached to it. Fedora boots to the login screen and then kills the monitor with the "cannot display this resolution" error. I have tried changing to a multitude of different resolutions and refresh rates but nothing works.

I have been distro hopping trying to find a distro that will simply handle my dual monitor set up. Ubuntu 7.10 did but 8.04 is using the same crappy screen resolution utility that Fedora is, however I was wanting to see if Fedora got it right or if the utility was just to immature to work correctly.

I do not have experience in programming an OS but it sure doesn't seem like it would be so BLANKING difficult to have dual screen capability. Windows has done it since back in the 98 days. Also, external NTFS formatted hard drives are an issue. Suse 11 uses them, it handles my dual monitors but the sound is broken. Ubuntu 8.04 everything works but the dual monitor capability. I am hoping that someone gets it right, I am hoping that it is Fedora 9. Sorry ranting now as I am about to pull out the last three threads of hair that I have.
I am having a similar problem with my Dell Latitide D830 and it's docking station. Booting off the dock works 100% of the time, but booting up one the docking station will only work 25% of the time. It will just lock up at the point where it should be starting GDM.

Tags
docking, dual, laptop, monitors, station