Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th May 2008, 10:29 PM
SummerShudder Offline

Exclamation VLC media player all static in Fedora 8

Hello all,

I am pretty noob when it comes to the wonderful world of linux, and I was hoping I could get some help to my sound issue. I have a whole library of music on a server on my home network. I transferred a few albums to my Linux machine which is a :

IBookG4 PPC 1.33ghz

The music files are mostly .wma, mp4a and .mp3. most wma. I have used VLC media player in windows and have gotten it to install into my Linux machine. But when i play audio files in linux through VLC its all static.... I have tried removing the pulse audio pluggin that so many people have had issues with.. All other system sounds work flawlessly, I am curious to see if anyone had similar issues and if so could you please help me out here.

Thanks in advance..
Old 5th May 2008, 11:51 PM
JohnVV Offline

i use mplayer with the smplayer front end but i do believe that vlc can use the mplayer codces
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/
and dl all-20071007.tar.bz2

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 7th May 2008, 01:07 AM
techmum Offline

Not sure if you are still running Pulse Audio, but I had big problems with distortion >

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...ht=pulse+audio

Problem was solved by scotta3234 who highlighted that decreasing the PCM volume level below 85% can fix the problem.

I now typically run with the PCM volume set at no more than 50% with sound working well in various players, including VLC.
Old 16th May 2008, 05:16 AM
lesjohn Offline

I am experiencing a similar problem. I run Ubuntu on an old Powerbook, and since the most recent upgrade, all audio from VLC is pure static (not just low quality -- it's static). Other media players still work. Did you have any luck resolving this? Did something in VLC change for power pc?

Tags
fedora, media, player, static, vlc