hey I had the INVALID FORMAT error before.. I kinda fixed it later
it has to do with the kernel source code compiled with ndiswrapper not matching with the current running one
these are the steps I did:
1. Downloaded kernel source to /usr/src/kernel/linux-2.6.3/
2. Created a symbolic link in /lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk called build that references the kernel source
ln -sf /usr/src/kernel/linux-2.6.3/ build
3. Downloaded ndiswrapper 0.9 to /usr/local/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper-0.9/
4. "make install" prompt error (need to configure kernel to accept modules)
5. Ran "make oldconfig" within the kernel source directory (oldconfig reverts to old configuration)
6. Ran "make install" again, no errors
7. Ran "modprobe ndiswrapper", prompt error "INVALID FORMAT". Possibly due to new kernel configuration not compatible with the current kernel build. Resolved to rebuild kernel
8. After rebuilding kernel, "make install" and "modprobe ndiswrapper" does not register error
9. At this stage, using iwconfig does not gain connection to wireless. AP shows up in the interface (wlan0) but no connection is established.
10. Various measures were taken :
a). edited the file ifcfg-wlan0 in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts with
HWADDR=your MAC address
KEY=your WEP encryption key
(see bunnymechanics.com/toshiba.html for more details)
b). Mandrake Control Center (configuration --> configure your computer --> network & internet --> manage connections) and click Apply to wlan0
c). Set Key, Set ESSID, and use "ifconfig wlan0 up"
At this stage, still have no improvement. But after restarting comp, it works.