Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th February 2004, 02:01 PM
svarreby Offline

Questions about KDE 3.2 & K3b + Nvidia

I am now a happy penguin, FC2 + 2.6.3 kernel ... so far so good

NVIDIA
I am just in the progress of installing Nvidia drivers. Where should I get them from?
I usually D/L them from http://www.sh.nu/download/nvidia/2.6
instead of the usual place (www.nvidia.com).

I have read that the newest version (from Nvidia.com) supports the 2.6 kernel, so does the files from sh.nu.

What file should I go for?

KDE 3.2
I would like to D/L and install the latest version of KDE, but I won't do it if there's any issues with dependencies (or other problems) who's related to an upgrade.

Should I stay with KDE 3.1.4 or is it "safe" to upgrade? If you think it's OK to proceed with an upgrade, what source (FTP/HTTP) or server should I get it from?

K3b
What is the version of the latest Fedora-friendly K3b? I have seen a 0.10.2 that was compiled for FC1 but I haven't seen anyone for FC2. Do you guys know if that version do work with FC2?

THANKS!!!
Old 24th February 2004, 02:37 PM
ewdi Offline
Retired Admin

i upgraded to kde 3.2 without dependencies problem, but i remove the QT-ODBC package on the kde 3.2 downlaod since i dont have use for ODBC.

do upgrade in SUDO mode if you want to safe upgrade

Follow me at http://twitter.com/ewdi

Laptop : MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4GB DDR, 20-inch iMac Aluminium/4GB RAM
Old 24th February 2004, 03:00 PM
svarreby Offline

Thanks for your input TUX!

I was doing a "FULL" upgrade with up2date during the time I wrote this questions. When everything was finished I did a reboot and log in to KDE ...

... was I surprised to see that KDE upgraded to 3.2 ? You bet 'ya ... one future tweak-topic out the window Only two more to go.

By the way, recently I've experienced huge problems with up2date wich did result in time-out errors (yes Iknow ... me too .

When I did the whole mega-upgrade this morning (C.E.T) - just installed a fresh one today - everything went smooth as a baby's but - fast as a shark (160Kb/s). I haven't tweaked/changed my up2date settings ... has the Fedora team changed the default "repos"?
Old 24th February 2004, 03:40 PM
mhelios Offline
Retired Community Manager

Regarding nVidia:
I've had mixed luck. A few nVidia versions ago, the minoin.de version worked better. Recently in FC1, the official versions were fine. For -test1, I installed the official 5336 version from nVidia. I am having X stability problems, however others have had success with it. I would say stick with the official version unless you have some sort of problem with that one.

KDE:
-test1 already comes with KDE 3.2

K3b:
https://bugzilla.fedora.us/show_bug.cgi?id=1106

Scroll to the bottom to try the latest -test1 version.
Old 28th February 2004, 02:04 AM
Bobmeister Offline

The latest official nVidia driver seems to work very well. I have installed it in FD1 and FD2 with the 2.6.3 kernel without problems. No stability problems whatsoever....just a lot of switching back and forth with kernel updates.....

Tags
k3b, kde, nvidia, questions