Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd April 2008, 07:44 PM
Soda Ant Offline

Huge Fonts--How to Fix?

I installed Fedora 8 on my system last night and everything looked fine until I did a software update. I have the screen resolution set to 1400x1050 to match the native resolution on my laptop.

When I rebooted after the software update, the screen resolution is still set to 1400x1050, but the fonts and other screen elements are huge. It's almost as if I've got some handicapped accessibility feature for people with poor sight turned on. I checked all the system applications and tools and couldn't find anything that would let me fix this. The font manager says that all of the fonts are 10 point, but on-screeen they look more like 60 points.
Old 22nd April 2008, 08:32 PM
JohnVV Offline

What graphics card -- if you have one -- are you using
well it dose sound like the video driver( xorg /card-ati or nvidia or built in chip set) is using 600x450 and not 1400x1050

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:42 PM
Soda Ant Offline

According to xdpyinfo, the resolution is indeed set to 1400x1050. When I log in after booting, the fonts, panels, etc., are a normal size for a split second and then switch to the large versions.
Old 23rd April 2008, 12:37 AM
JohnVV Offline

"When I log in after booting, the fonts, panels, etc., are a normal size for a split second and then switch to the large versions."
----
it sounds like the system default 1400x1050 but the user account is set to a lower res
on my sys i have 3 settings
System / Preferences / Hardware / Screen Resolution ----------- for user
System / Administration / Display ----------- for sys default
Applications / System Tools / NVIDIA X Server Settings ----------- to edit xorg.conf

is there a graphics card in the laptop or is it built in to the motherboard and if so who is the manufacturer of the chips
you may need to edit the xorg.conf depending on how the graphics are handled

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 23rd April 2008, 05:19 AM
Soda Ant Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVV
System / Administration / Display ----------- for sys default
This was it. Thanks! The monitor was set to a generic VGA CRT. I reset it to an LCD with my system's native resolution and that fixed it.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Soda Ant; 23rd April 2008 at 05:31 AM.

Tags
fix, fontshow, huge