Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th April 2008, 01:06 PM
Wl1DTxlDi1dc7XH Offline

Question nm-applet running but network-manager not installed. Why?

I am using fedora 7. I've noticed nm-applet is running, but network-manager is not installed. So why is this thing running? I have tried to stop it with service nm-applet stop but it does not recognise the service, and it is not listed in service --status-all
Old 20th April 2008, 01:12 PM
bbfuller Offline

The actual program in named NetworkManager and you will need to use its command in that format with the capital letters.

NetworkManager is always installed with Fedora.

The usual way to stop it running would be from "Gnome system menu - Administration - Services"
Old 20th April 2008, 01:46 PM
Wl1DTxlDi1dc7XH Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfuller
The actual program in named NetworkManager and you will need to use its command in that format with the capital letters.

NetworkManager is always installed with Fedora.

The usual way to stop it running would be from "Gnome system menu - Administration - Services"
Ok network manager is installed. But it's not running as a service. I tried starting it and stopping it again. nm-applet is still running. I won't mind except it seems to be using quite a bit of memory.
Old 20th April 2008, 03:35 PM
bbfuller Offline

Hello Wl1DTxlDi1dc7XH

The thing that I know is NetworkManager has an applet that appears in the notification area of the panel - either Gnome or KDE - it monitors and controls network cards.

At least as far as Fedora 8 is concerned its primary use is in connection with wireless cards.

I've just been doing a bit of testing and it is linked with the NetworkManager service and does not appear if that is stopped. It's also identified, when you right click on its icon and select "About", as "NetworkManager Applet 0.7.0".

This quote from the fedrora 8 release notes:

Quote:
Since knetworkmanager does not work with the version of NetworkManager available in this release, the KDE Live images use nm-applet from NetworkManager-gnome as a replacement. The gnome-keyring-daemon facility saves passwords for these encryption technologies. The knetworkmanager package in this release is a script that calls nm-applet. The knetworkmanager package will be updated to provide a KDE frontend when a compatible version is available.
gives a clue as to what the 'nm-applet' is.

I don't actually see it listed on a machine either with or without NetworkManager running though.

Give me some clue as to how you discovered it and how it appears when running.

Last edited by bbfuller; 20th April 2008 at 09:58 PM.

Tags
installed, networkmanager, nmapplet, running