Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 14th April 2008, 03:46 PM
beholder242 Offline

WebDAV or FTP for web publishing and proper configuration

Since the late 90's when I first started making web pages, I always built my own web servers (RedHat 5 was the first of many), installed FrontPage extensions, and used FrontPage as my client. I never really used the webbots or other junk that FrontPage had in it, but I always found it to be a solid editor when I was writing PHP, and the publishing functions were a snap.

Then Microsoft announced that FrontPage extensions for Linux were going away. I made sure to grab a copy and all the documentation I would ever need to reinstall it in the future.

You see, for me, FrontPage was kinda like that worn-out pair of sneakers that were broken in just right, felt real comfortable, and even though over the years they started looking old and ratty, no one was going to make you throw them away unless they pried them from your cold, dead fingers.

That day finally came for me just last week. My web hosting provider essentially forced me to upgrade my dedicated web server from Fedora Core 4 (which FrontPage extensions worked on) to Fedora Core 7, and then later I came upon the discovery that Apache had significantly upgraded their codebase and dropped certain files that the FrontPage extensions relied on to compile. Thus, end of the line for FrontPage Server Extensions.

Since then, I've been looking for alternatives. I hope to still use my FrontPage 2003 as a client, but have been looking at WebDAV and FTP to handle the publishing. The one thing I really liked about FrontPage was that I could make an edit in a page, save the page, then flip to my browser and see the change. I didn't have to open any other programs to transfer the page to the server, change permissions, or move the file on the server before I could see the change take effect.

OK, after all that, here's the question:

Between WebDAV and FTP, which of those can give me the same ease of publishing that FrontPage did? And what would be the recommended setup on the server to make it work? Right now, my web pages are stored in /var/www/html, and then various subdirectories for my virtual hosts and separate domains. I know that Windows has built-in methods for accessing WebDAV and FTP on remote servers, although they have their quirks, too.

Thanks!

Tags
configuration, ftp, proper, publishing, web, webdav