Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 14th April 2008, 07:23 AM
Nokia Offline

Howto Multiboot while keeping Firefox tabs open

Hello,

I thought it might be useful for those having more that one distro installed to know there's at least one possibility to keep open tabs, passwords, history, bookmarks and cookies synced regardless of the distro involved.

It a slightly less known/advertised Firefox extension -although is two years old already - called Google Browser Sync

It uses a google mail account as credentials, but it also has an added security measure in form of a personal PIN number that each one chooses when activating the service.

In the Sync Settings Tab, upon instalation, only the Passwords and the Cookies are synced over a secured https connection. The other three, Tabs and Windows, Bookmarks, History have this option available too, yet it is unchecked by default. In other words, one can make sure all his personal data gets synced in a perfectly secured environment.

As a security precaution, I URGE everyone considering this modality of dealing with personal data to take a moment and consider very carefully the implications. As an example, just imagine you're in an airport cafe and you get all your personal data/passwords in a public/not to be trusted computer.

For those needing just bookmark synchronization, I can recommend Foxmarks extension available at https://addons.mozilla.org. Another one who looks promising but I haven't yet time to test is HyperBK extension - who is supposed to bring automatic bookmark classification and history enhancements.

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 14th April 2008, 10:59 AM
drhilbert Offline

just to add my two cents...

I'm using Google Browser Sync since long time now and I'm sharing the same settings among different distros, different operating system and most of all, among different computers.

it works really great and I think I can't live w/o

Tags
firefox, howto, keeping, multiboot, open, tabs