Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th April 2008, 09:21 AM
fudderduds Offline

Arrow I want to switch to Fedora but....

I'm currently running Ubuntu 7.10 and want to switch over to Fedora 8 but I don't want to loose my files. I know that I can move /home to a separate partition but I'm not sure that I have enough free memory on my HD to do so.

Compaq Presario V2000 90G HD with a dual boot with XP (I know, it's sad) at 14.5G, then 76G for Ubuntu and 54.4G (44.4 in /home) is taken up leaving about 21G free.

Do I have enough room to move /home to a new partition?

Any help is greatly appreciated and may have rewards (naming first born children after you, donations to charity in your name, etc.).

Cheers!
Drew
Old 12th April 2008, 09:35 AM
suomaf Offline

Run a dh -h and see how much space you got left. You need to find out also how big you /home is. Although i think you might want to think about what you really want, and whatyou can do without
Old 12th April 2008, 09:48 AM
bingoUV Offline

make a live cd of knoppix / gparted. Boot from it. This can shrink an ext3 partition without losing data. Though it recommends backing up the data, it mostly works. A bit risky, but maybe worth it.

Tags
fedora, switch