Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th April 2008, 05:30 PM
Hidalgo Offline

GUI for starting/stopping Services has disappeared!

Here is a weird problem: My Fedora 8 system is working ok, except that the GUI application that allows me to start and stop services is no longer listed under the System->Administration... sub-menu, and I don't know how to get it back! I am a newbie to Fedora and am currently in the middle of a website development project and I often need to start/stop/restart apache and MySQL. I tried rebooting using the Rescue option, but nothing changed. I daresay there is a way of starting/stopping/restarting services in a Terminal session, but I have yet to find out what the commands are, so for the time being, work has ground to a halt.
Old 11th April 2008, 06:04 PM
algej Offline

Try running /usr/bin/system-config-services from a terminal window.

If it's not found, then 'yum install system-config-services' should fix it.

Individual scripts for starting/stopping/restarting services from a terminal window are typically found in /etc/init.d, so running /etc/init.d/httpd restart will restart apache and /etc/init.d/mysqld restart will restart mysql, without needing the GUI.
Old 11th April 2008, 06:59 PM
manoloko Offline

Try clicking with the right mouse button and select properties. Then navigate to system -> administration, find and mark the field you want to apear in the menu.
It worked for me when my sister decided to learn how to use linux in my user account, off course, she did not removed the application from my computer, she just hide it.

Last edited by manoloko; 11th April 2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12th April 2008, 12:34 AM
RJFUatHOME Offline

Try looking in Applications > System Tools for Services. if it's not there right click on the fedora logo on the top panel and choose Edit Menus and look for it in Applications > System Tools. Check it if it's unchecked.

While you are in there you can drag and drop it into the Administration section. Funny but when I did that I suddenly got two "Services" icons appearing in the System > Administration menu but not the edit menu dialog when there wasn't one before. I unchecked the only showing leaving one behind.

Don't know what's up with that. Looks like a bug. I keep a copy on my top panel anyhow since it's once of those GUI favs I like to click on...

Tags
disappeared, gui, services, starting or stopping