Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th April 2008, 05:52 AM
antiver Offline

Logitech G5 Mouse - Left click intermittently detected

I have a Logitech G5 (Wired/Laser) mouse and I'm using an up-to-date install of Fedora 8 - in fact I've reinstalled Fedora once already, hoping this problem would somehow go away. I've also tried searching Google obsessively for a solution, and the closest I can find is some possibly unrelated, unresolved ubuntu issues from a few years back.

A few days after installing Fedora, the left mouse button suddenly starts behaving completely irratically. It only occurs when you're holding the left mouse button down - it's as if the mouse driver ceases to detect the click and then redetects it completely randomly.

The easiest way to demonstrate it is to simply attempt to click and drag across the desktop. It will begin drawing the box around the area you're selecting, but within a second or two it'll act like you instantly let go of the mouse button, and then began holding it down again, effectively drawing a whole new box from scratch as you drag the mouse across the screen. This behavior will occur repeatedly in one click-and-drag pass across the desktop.

If you attempt to drag a Sticky Note across the screen, you notice that the intermittent detect-and-lose-the-left-click happens so fast and so often that it quickly detects a double click instead of the intended dragging motion.

Again, there aren't any problems immediately after I install Fedora (it even works fine after all updates are installed). A few days later, the problems start. I assume it *could* an update causing it, but I don't really see how because I assume that it should have began again immediately after I patched up my most recent Fedora installation - and it didn't (unless, it started after reboot, etc, but I didn't notice that to be the case).

I'm hoping its a simple fix, so thanks for the help!

Another day or two of this and I'm going to go insane and head back to XP (Fedora is the only distro that comes close to being stable / usable on my machine.. until this problem sets in).
Old 5th April 2008, 06:08 AM
witakr Offline

I have the Logitec G9 and have had no problems, it may be to do with the drives, they may be out-of-date for fc8 standards, you may try and update the drivers, if that doesnt work, buy a G9?
Old 6th April 2008, 04:31 PM
drew1 Offline

Hello antiver.

I bought the G5 (the blue one) two weeks ago and after 3-4 days of working perfectly, it started to cause problems. The left click acts just like you described it. Dragging icons it's really a pain now.
When i want to highlight a text it sometimes highlights only the characters at the beggining and the end. (An odd thing if you ask me)

However, i don't think the problem is operating-system related. I have Ubuntu 7.10 + Windows XP on my computer and the mouse acts the same on both.

I tried to use no setpoint, SetPoint 4.0a2. (which came with it) and SetPoint 4.40 but the problem still remains.
Tommorow or the day after i'll take it back to the dealer to claim my warranty. I'll let you know what they will tell me.

Cheers
Old 7th April 2008, 01:16 AM
antiver Offline

I switched back to XP and discovered that the problem is occurring there as well, which I guess closes this thread as the problem has nothing to do with Fedora (yay!). I just ordered a Logitech G7 (G5 + Wireless) as a substitute since my G5 is most likely out of warranty (I've had it for at least 1.5 years without problems). I would absolutely love to hear what Logitech has to say about the issue though - a replacement G5 (or even just a fix) would be nice
Old 7th April 2008, 02:28 AM
antiver Offline

For anyone interested, I rewrote my original post and stuck it on Logitech's forums:
http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/...hread.id=12180
Old 9th April 2008, 12:21 AM
witakr Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiver
I just ordered a Logitech G7 (G5 + Wireless) as a substitute since my G5 is most likely out of warranty (I've had it for at least 1.5 years without problems).
OK, this is the gamer in me talking...

WIRELESS? Do you play online games? If you do then you should return the wireless and get the G9, the G9 is such an awesome mouse, I have had it for like a month and a half or 2 months and its awesome, On the fly sensitivity control and click or freespin mouse wheel.. up to 3200dpi... and more.. my goodness..

Ok this is the tech guy talking now...

G5 + Wireless, if you G5 doesn't work wouldn't be logical to assume that a G5 plus wireless wouldn't either, assuming the only difference between the G5 and the G7 is that the G7 is wireless?

Just food for thought
Old 9th April 2008, 03:42 PM
drew1 Offline

Hello again. I too posted in the Logitech forum. They told me to go to the dealer and switch the mouse.
The dealer refused (they had some sort of stupid, less than 48h only return policy) so I used a form on the Logitech website to e-mail their technical support.

The form is here: http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/...duser/ask.php?

They asked me more details about the purchase and had me give them my address.
Now they are sending me a new mouse, which should arrive in 10 working days (so my problem is solved :yay: )

The warranty for the G5 is 2 years at minimum so you should e-mail their Technical Support aswell. I sent you a private message with the e-mail exchange I had with them.

I would also like to apologize to the admins for continuing posting this here even this is not a Fedora related problem. Thank you.

Last edited by drew1; 9th April 2008 at 04:01 PM.

Tags
click, detected, intermittently, left, logitech, mouse