Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Closed Thread

Old 30th June 2004, 01:22 PM
Jman Offline

ALSA software mixing (one program sound only bug)

Try playing multiple sounds at once. Chances are it won't work, and you will only hear one. One program gets exclusive access to the sound device.

The solution is software mixing. ALSA sound makes this possible, but you have to enable it. Put this in your /etc/asound.conf file:
Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "swmixer"
}

pcm.swmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1234
slave {
pcm "hw:0,0"
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 4096
rate 44100
}
}
This should enable software mixing on the default device. (You can also just test this out on your user by putting it in your ~/.asoundrc file.) Now just get your programs to use the default ALSA device. (This isn't as easy as it sounds.) In XMMS just edit the configuration of the ALSA output plugin.

Or you could install and configure a sound mixing server like esd or KDE's arts. The goal is to mix the sound before outputting it.

Edit: If I recall correctly, I got this from this ALSA howto. It's just here for your convenience.

Last edited by Jman; 10th August 2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old 30th June 2004, 01:36 PM
foolish Offline
Retired Community Manager

Excelent, thank you. This works great on my computer.
Old 30th June 2004, 02:18 PM
djf_jeff Offline

Work fine here, here is my asound.conf :

Code:
#
# DMIX input device
#
pcm.!output {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1234
    slave {
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 8192
        rate 48000
    }
}

#
# DSNOOP output device
#
pcm.!input {
    type dsnoop
    ipc_key 1234
    slave {
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        rate 48000
    }
}

#
# ASYM duplex device
#
pcm.!duplex {
    type asym
    playback.pcm "output"
    capture.pcm "input"
}

#
# Make the duplex device default
#
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "duplex"
}

#
# OSS Compability
#
pcm.!dsp0 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "duplex"
}

ctl.!mixer0 {
    type hw
    card 0
}
One guy at job found this and it work fine. If you have trouble after that with gstreamer, just run this as your user :

Code:
gconftool-2 -s /system/gstreamer/0.8/default/audiosink -t string "alsasink device=output"
Old 14th July 2004, 09:57 AM
Bana Offline
Retired Community Manager

Works for me, although does anyone know how to make Helixplayer (alsa realplayer) use the default alsa device?
Old 15th July 2004, 04:37 PM
Jman Offline

Helixplayer alsa drivers are still being worked on as of a week ago, unfortunately.
Old 15th July 2004, 08:30 PM
jzke

Doesn't work for me, for some reason I don't have a asound.conf file in /etc/... I have asound.state anyone no why?
Old 16th July 2004, 02:27 AM
Jman Offline

You may have to create the file:
Code:
touch /etc/asound.conf
Old 20th August 2004, 11:59 AM
pigpen Offline

Just a note: Jman's .asoundrc worked on my VIA KT133 sound hardware at home.
The box at my office has

Card: Intel 82801BA-ICH2
Analog Devices AD1885

hardware, which has a fixed sampling rate of 48kHz (i guess ), so I just commented out the
"rate"-line like this:
Code:
#rate 44100
and it works perfectly now.
Old 2nd November 2004, 07:30 PM
kennykongkl Offline

Hi Jman,

I tried your steps. It worked well with xmms playing and when I play a wav file using aplay.

However, if I have xmms playing music and yahoo messenger running, it doesn't work very well. Only when I stop playing music on xmms, will the yahoo sounds appear after that. Yahoo seems to wait for xmms to stop playing, then yahoo will play its backlog of sounds. It's like they can't share the same output channel.

My asound.conf file is the same as what you have here.

My settings in the xmms player for the ALSA output plugin is as follows :

ALSA 1.2.10 output plugin [libALSA.so]

Device Settings - Audio device = default, Mixer = Mixer Card 0, Mixer Device = PCM
Advanced Settings - Buffer time = 500 ms, Period time = 50 ms, Mmap mode = checked

Truly appreciate your help, thanks in advance.
Old 6th December 2004, 02:03 PM
jgionet Offline

I think this is the "#1 thing" that annoys me the most about using Linux as a Multimedia workstation. I'm trying "very hard" to switch permantly from XP to FC3 however all these multimedia issues are forcing me to boot up my XP PC all the time. I do alot of Sound Mixing, CD/DVD burning/creations, Video playing/editing and MiniDV encoding with my Digital Camcorder. You would think having the ability to play multiple sounds/wavs/mp3/anything would be simpler than this. Even Windows has had this for years. (sorry.. just venting a little.. it's Monday)
Old 10th December 2004, 06:05 AM
brymaster Offline

This problem in Fedora with ALSA has bugged me for quite a while. I really do hope they can put some effort into fixing this.
Old 14th February 2005, 05:56 AM
rega451 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman
Try playing multiple sounds at once. Chances are it won't work, and you will only hear one. One program gets exclusive access to the sound device.

The solution is software mixing. ALSA sound makes this possible, but you have to enable it. Put this in your /etc/asound.conf file: -----------
Big problem for me here! I also wanted to do this but for some reason I don't have an asound.conf I have asound.state, but that's it. Since I haven't had any reason (or so I thought) to look for it before this, I didn't know it wasn't there, or even should be there for that matter.
Old 15th February 2005, 01:54 AM
gohanman Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman
Edit: If I recall correctly, I got this from this ALSA howto. It's just here for your convenience.
Apologies for bumping an ancient thread, but I'm having some trouble getting this working.

With the given additions to /etc/asound.conf, I can play two different files at once using asound, which is good.

Unforntantely, I still can't get sound from real applications (e.g., xmms, xine) at the same time. Worse, the configuration dialogs don't have the settings that the linked guide CLAIMS they have.

Specifically, xmms (v. 1.2.10) does not have a check box labeled "user defined".

Xine (v. 0.99.2) does not have a field called "device used for mono output" nor does it have a field called "device used for stereo output" in the "audio" tab.

Any advice on how to *actually* configure these programs to use swmixer would be great.
Old 15th February 2005, 03:32 AM
Jman Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohanman
Apologies for bumping an ancient thread, but I'm having some trouble getting this working.

With the given additions to /etc/asound.conf, I can play two different files at once using asound, which is good.

Unforntantely, I still can't get sound from real applications (e.g., xmms, xine) at the same time. Worse, the configuration dialogs don't have the settings that the linked guide CLAIMS they have.

Specifically, xmms (v. 1.2.10) does not have a check box labeled "user defined".

Xine (v. 0.99.2) does not have a field called "device used for mono output" nor does it have a field called "device used for stereo output" in the "audio" tab.

Any advice on how to *actually* configure these programs to use swmixer would be great.
This guide was based on FC2, if I recall correctly. XMMS should have an alsa output option, be sure that is selected. If there is a box for the device enter swmixer, if not it might work anyway.

Try editing the xine config file like it suggests.
Old 15th February 2005, 04:19 AM
gohanman Offline

1. I'm running FC2, so that really shouldn't be the problem.

2. xmms does have an alsa output option, which is selected. If I change "Audio Device" to swmixer, it gives me an error along the lines of "device is busy or misconfigured" when I try to play. The way it is right now, xmms and aplay won't run at the same time, so I don't think xmms is using the software mixer.

3. I did look at the xine config file, it doesn't have the keys for mono device and stereo device either.
Closed Thread

Tags
alsa, bug, mixing, program, software, sound