I'm a linux newbie, but have just managed to get FC2 installed and a working dual boot with win xp. There were a few gotchas a long the way, and I don't think the documentation is particularly newbie friendly. So I thought I'd just write up a quick guide on how I managed it.
Note that I was using NTL broadband here in the UK, via USB. I suppose this guide is more a compliment to the actual documentation, rather than a replacement.
1. Download your 4 discs of iso's and have your winxp disc at the ready
2. Backup anything on your system that you want to keep
2.1 Some posts used Partition Magic to resize existing partitions. I tried it and couldn't get it to do anything with my system (kept coming up with unable to lock drive) as well as a bunch of other stuff.
3. Go to your BIOS and ensure that the hard drive type is set to LBA (not auto). VERY important for dual booting, if you don't WinXP won't boot.
3.1 If you have changed from anything else to LBA then it's probably lost everything on your hd anyway, whether you resized with partiton magic or not. I couldn't get my machine to read the harddrive after setting it to LBA
4. Put the WinXP disc in and boot the installer
5. Ensure that you delete all partitions, and recreate new partitions. Leave space free for linux. On my 60G drive I partitioned 40G for windows and 20G for Linux. Make sure that WinXP is on the first partition
6. Install WinXP on your system by following the brain dead prompts.
7. Reboot the system and drop straight to WinXP, finalise the installation
8. Insert FC2 iso disc 1 and reboot the system
8.1 Press enter to install graphically
9. Let FC2 create it's own partitions, elect to delete all linux partitions on the system
10. When you get to GRUB you should see it decide something like:
rename Other to WinXP. I also set WinXP to default just because my partner uses it and trying to explain MBR boot loaders would be to much.
11. Complete installation of Linux (it's very easy to do, just follow the prompts). Ensure, that during the package installation, you install dhcp (or is it dhcpd)
12. Reboot the system and you should see GRUB come up with the choice of 2 os's. You should be able to boot both
13. Get your NTL USB modem to work under linux by logging in.
13.1 type "su root" and enter the root password
13.2 Go to /etc
13.3 emacs dhcpd.conf
13.4 type in the following line "ddns-update-style interim"
13.5 Save the file
13.6 reboot system
13.7 Go to network wizard, select ethernet and you should see "usbethernet" or something similar, select this, and dhcp for IP etc
13.8 Activate device
You should now have FC2 installed with working inet, as well as booting XP. Here's just a quick trouble shooter based on what I found:
TS1 When I try and boot WinXP I get the following on the screen and then it freezes:
A. I got that before I set my hd to LBA, this seemed to fix it. Although some posts claim they managed to install it fine without setting harddrives to LBA
TS2 My internet seems very slow, it takes ages to load in new pages
A. Yeah, I got that this morning too, last night seemed fine, haven't had a chance to check it on WinXP I think it's the actual connection though....
TS3 When I start up that "chromium" game it runs at like 0.5 fps
A. Yeah, I get that too, not sure how I'm meant to fix it, wonder if it's not hardware accelerated or something ?!?!?
Anyway, hope it helps, I was a complete newbie with the documentation (which is pretty good) and managed to get Linux installed.
Now if only I could work out how to create new user accounts