Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Fedora Focus
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Fedora Focus Come in and have a general chat about Fedora and things relating to Fedora.

View Poll Results: Would I pay for Boxed Fedora?
Yes 40 51.95%
No 30 38.96%
Don't know yet 7 9.09%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th March 2008, 01:06 PM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

Would You Pay For Boxed Version of Fedora

Back in the day, when I was using SuSE, I used to buy the boxed version of it just to support the company. The box came with printed application and administration manual, an additional source disc and a SuSE sticker.

Although I never had any use of any of its contents, I wanted to reward (then great) company for their efforts to provide me with a great distro.

This isn't questionnaire about feasibility of doing something like above with Fedora, but just a thought game to find out how many would be willing to buy a copy and therefore financially support Fedora if such an option existed.

So, if you had a chance to buy a boxed copy of Fedora that had CD/DVD set for all installation media plus additional CD/DVD containing all source packages (SRPMs), application manual (for basic software such as Open Office, Evolution etc) and administrator's manual, and maybe a sticker (e.g. of Fedora logo) or something similar, would you buy it?

Additionally, feel free to state a price-point you think would be reasonable (SuSE set was around £50 if I remember correctly now).

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 20th March 2008, 01:16 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
I also bought the SuSE box ($50.00, as I recall) and considered it a deal at the time. I still think that's a fair price to pay for what's included - never mind the sticker. So, Pete, might this be a lead-in to why more of us haven't donated to our favorite distro? (insert personal shame symbol here: )
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 20th March 2008, 01:21 PM
adrianx Offline

I voted yes. If it comes with a good printed manual (or two) and the price is lower than that of "competing" OS's. If, however, the boxed version was the only option, then I would definitely switch distros.
Old 20th March 2008, 01:22 PM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
So, Pete, might this be a lead-in to why more of us haven't donated to our favorite distro? (insert personal shame symbol here: )
In all fairness, Fedora doesn't make it easy to anyone to donate and although you can order the disks from various vendors, you only get the media itself, and nothing else.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 20th March 2008, 01:25 PM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianx
I voted yes. If it comes with a good printed manual (or two) and the price is lower than that of "competing" OS's. If, however, the boxed version was the only option, then I would definitely switch distros.
That was never the case with SuSE. You could have it all for free by download (just like any other distro) or buy the boxed set if you wanted (it even made to the shelves of PCWorld over here - sort of Wall-Mart of computer equipment). At no point they tried to force you to order the boxed version.

Old 20th March 2008, 01:37 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Yes. I bought Redhat9, and I would buy fedora too. If for nothing else, the printed manual would be a bargain.

I have purchased a full DVD set (including extras) for FC6 from The Linux Store. Were fedora to offer them, (F7, F8) I'd rather get them from fedora.
Old 20th March 2008, 01:41 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
About the subject: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#he...3048e6380f0412
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 20th March 2008, 01:46 PM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Yeah, but as I mentioned, this wasn't about feasibility of the sheme itself

Same applied to SuSE, by the time you got the box, it was out of date, but manuals for example were pretty much same, or only updated if major changes to software were made (quite rare really) and only thing I remember really chaging was the version number itself in printed media.

Old 20th March 2008, 03:25 PM
thunderogg Offline

I would buy it just to get the sticker! To have the honor of replacing the Windoze Vi$ta sticker on my notebook with an official good looking Fedora sticker. Well, I already took out the Vista sticker and glued in on my trash bin ...
Asus P8Z68-V, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Geil DDR 1600v, 120 GB SSD Intel 520, 120 GB OCZ Vertex3, 1TB ST1000DM003, Nvidia GTX 650, SyncMaster SA300B, Logitech Illuminate Keyboard, Kensington Expert Mouse.
Old 20th March 2008, 05:20 PM
BandC Offline

The best use of a boxed-set option in my opinion would be as a gift. Many of us don't "need" the manual etc. but it may be a good option if you want to support Fedora AND introduce someone to Linux/Fedora. They might appreciate a boxed version with a manual.

Do you like surfing forums but wish people would stop using obscure abbreviations and acronyms?
Then my Firefox/Chrome extension ABBREX is for you!
It automatically adds hover tooltips to abbreviations displaying their meanings on any web page you visit!

Check it out at: http://abbrex.com
Old 20th March 2008, 06:11 PM
birger Offline

In a way we are already paying those guys in red hats by testing new technology for them. :-)
I wouldn't ever unpack the box, as I find online documentation far more usable than printed. And I need iso images far more often than DVDs. That leaves only the sticker. I have never used those either, cute as they are. That leaves only a box to take up valuable space, so it would get binned anyway.
If the fedora organisation needs money I guess a way to just pay a voluntary license fee would be more appropriate.
Old 20th March 2008, 06:22 PM
Dies Offline

I voted No.

But I want clarify that by saying that I would absolutely buy a boxed version of Fedora and be willing to pay a decent amount for it IF it weren't for the pace at which it moves, a six month release cycle is great for those of us that like having the latest and greatest but it doesn't really make sense for a commercial product, especially when there isn't a smooth upgrade path.

On the other hand, if they ever say or even hint that they are in need of financial support to continue with Fedora development I will be more than happy to donate my fair share.
Old 20th March 2008, 07:17 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

I voted yes..... simply because buying Fedora on some type of installation media (CD sets or DVD) is really my only option anyway. When you are limited to 28.8Kbp dialup as I am, you don't download any distro, not even puppy linux.

Paul
Old 20th March 2008, 08:42 PM
thunderogg Offline

After reading what PabloTwo and Dies said, I think it would make sense selling a mature version of Fedora, like Fedora 8 is now with a new release each year or so. A version that doesn't have to be updated when you install it. I mean the difference from the copy I bought (Yes, I bought it) and what I run now after all the updates is huge. Running Fedora without being able to make updates would be hard.
Asus P8Z68-V, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Geil DDR 1600v, 120 GB SSD Intel 520, 120 GB OCZ Vertex3, 1TB ST1000DM003, Nvidia GTX 650, SyncMaster SA300B, Logitech Illuminate Keyboard, Kensington Expert Mouse.
Old 20th March 2008, 08:55 PM
ryptyde Online

I voted yes but had second thoughts as it seemed a bit tricky one to just have a solid answer. First off I have purchased Red Hat Enterprise boxed set previously and secondly I have purchased the Red Hat/Fedora Bibles on occasion including the latest covering F8.

So even though the Fedora .iso's are freely available I have still purchased "boxed sets" that help to support free open source software.