Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th March 2008, 08:07 PM
Ymir Offline

Booooooo. I am trying to be patient here...
Old 20th March 2008, 09:25 PM
karlpiuemeno Offline

what's the problem?

Download a development boot.iso
point to a network installation url (one of the mirrors)
and install your fresh rawhide...

beta is only a snapshot..

I'm using rawhide since 2 weeks, and IT ISN'T beta quality. Fedora team doesn't want to release ****ty software so:

Wait for the beta.... or install now rawhide..

There are a lot of bug.

The buggiest one is package kit..... rpm -i (for now) is the only solution to get working some packages....

some xorg issues have been fixed..... nautilus too... but all the system isn't beta quality..
Old 21st March 2008, 12:50 AM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlpiuemeno
what's the problem?

Download a development boot.iso
point to a network installation url (one of the mirrors)
and install your fresh rawhide...

beta is only a snapshot..

I'm using rawhide since 2 weeks, and IT ISN'T beta quality. Fedora team doesn't want to release ****ty software so:

Wait for the beta.... or install now rawhide..

There are a lot of bug.

The buggiest one is package kit..... rpm -i (for now) is the only solution to get working some packages....

some xorg issues have been fixed..... nautilus too... but all the system isn't beta quality..
i wouldnt be aadvising people to download the Alpha rawhide when the alpha was un-usable, best to wait for the Beta then download
Old 21st March 2008, 01:02 AM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz
i wouldnt be aadvising people to download the Alpha rawhide when the alpha was un-usable, best to wait for the Beta then download

Perhaps you should read the post again as you are wrong !

At present Rawhide is closer to the beta release !
Old 21st March 2008, 01:07 AM
kevmif Offline

How stable will the beta be?

I installed F8 test 3 before the final release and was not too impressed....

I am really, really hanging for some of the new stuff though.
Old 21st March 2008, 01:13 AM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmif
Hello:
It depends as I'm sure you know.

It could be the best thing since sliced bread and on the other hand it could be a nightmare?

No way of telling for sure, other than taking a look at the planned features / changes from F8 and using your own judgment.

I would expect it to be not stable ..... anything different than that would be a bonus

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 21st March 2008, 01:19 AM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmif

I installed F8 test 3 before the final release and was not too impressed....

I am really, really hanging for some of the new stuff though.

Rawhide runs great here but I had to beat it into submission

Code:
[leigh@localhost ~]$ uptime
 00:09:06 up 10:20,  2 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.23, 0.31
[leigh@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25-0.130.rc6.git3.fc9
[leigh@localhost ~]$ compiz --version
compiz 0.7.3
[leigh@localhost ~]$ emerald --version
emerald: emerald version 0.7.3
[leigh@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa |grep nvidia
nvidia-x11-drv-171.06-1.fc9.x86_64
nvidia-x11-drv-32bit-171.06-1.fc9.x86_64
[leigh@localhost ~]$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
Old 21st March 2008, 01:22 AM
Demz

wonder what the chances are of compiz0.7.2 going into Beta
Old 21st March 2008, 01:24 AM
leigh123linux

Quote:
wonder what the chances are of compiz0.7.2 going into Beta

Zero ..........................
Old 21st March 2008, 01:29 AM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123@linux
Zero ..........................
well i hope your wrong or i might have to force myself to use your git head versions, but i cant see how KDE4 is suposed to function without .7.x release unless they backport a few things into 0.6.2
Old 21st March 2008, 02:01 AM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Beta Has Been Pushed To The 25Th which is good, gives me time till i get my Videocard

have a look on the release Schedule for More about it

I already stated that the release date had slipped in post #15 !!
Old 21st March 2008, 02:14 AM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123@linux
I already stated that the release date had slipped in post #15 !!
ok ok, so im slow,, . i missed that post, ,, but i'll look .. ok i'll Delete My post,, but you might wanna edit your post, ,Make it in Bold ( just the Date ) that way people will notice it more

just saw this by Rahul on the test List... Packagekit is now the default?

Last edited by Demz; 21st March 2008 at 04:47 AM.
Old 21st March 2008, 09:22 AM
karlpiuemeno Offline

Quote:
ok ok, so im slow,, . i missed that post, ,, but i'll look .. ok i'll Delete My post,, but you might wanna edit your post, ,Make it in Bold ( just the Date ) that way people will notice it more

just saw this by Rahul on the test List... Packagekit is now the default?
packagekit (in this moment) is installed by default, replacing pirut (pirut isn't installed)..........

for now package kit gives me a lot of errors.... so I continue to use yumex + old terminal ways.

for the "rawhide quality"........ rawhide TODAY is stable but not 100 % working. I explain my self:

Stable: the basesystem is going to be solid... I've no more xorg lockups and kernel crashes (just some failures, submitted...) so my desktop doesn't reboot

Working: it isn't full working.... nautilus in these days have some problems with double click, empty trash... packagekit a lot of errors.. firefox has problems with bookmark manager (downloading a nightly build shows mozilla team is working on it, but for now bookmark manager is an hell)

the new network manager is "empty"...they changed the interface...

there are some keyboard issues..... blocnum discarding, wrong default keyboard....

the xorg + radeon driver are more slow (I think, debug code....) my vga now is sucking at glxgears....... divxes....... vlc doesn't work...

and many more....

so: the fedora team is doing a LOT of work..... I think fedora 9 would be one of the "most complicated" release ever.... there is a lot of work on base tools.....

for example: yum now is faster....

I'm 100% sure that fedora 9 will be released on MAY..... April is too much early

ps the last one: upstart seems to work.... looking at boot process, there are less pauses....
now the boot process is slower than fedora 8.... but let's wait for the final code

the new services manager rox

Last edited by karlpiuemeno; 21st March 2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 21st March 2008, 09:39 AM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlpiuemeno
packagekit (in this moment) is installed by default, replacing pirut (pirut isn't installed)..........

for now package kit gives me a lot of errors.... so I continue to use yumex + old terminal ways.

for the "rawhide quality"........ rawhide TODAY is stable but not 100 % working. I explain my self:

Stable: the basesystem is going to be solid... I've no more xorg lockups and kernel crashes (just some failures, submitted...) so my desktop doesn't reboot

Working: it isn't full working.... nautilus in these days have some problems with double click, empty trash... packagekit a lot of errors.. firefox has problems with bookmark manager (downloading a nightly build shows mozilla team is working on it, but for now bookmark manager is an hell)

the new network manager is "empty"...they changed the interface...

there are some keyboard issues..... blocnum discarding, wrong default keyboard....

the xorg + radeon driver are more slow (I think, debug code....) my vga now is sucking at glxgears....... divxes....... vlc doesn't work...

and many more....

so: the fedora team is doing a LOT of work..... I think fedora 9 would be one of the "most complicated" release ever.... there is a lot of work on base tools.....

for example: yum now is faster....

I'm 100% sure that fedora 9 will be released on MAY..... April is too much early

ps the last one: upstart seems to work.... looking at boot process, there are less pauses....
now the boot process is slower than fedora 8.... but let's wait for the final code

the new services manager rox
doesn't surprise me about Firefox Bookmark Manager i think the whole bookmark manager is a complete Mess,, who uses Smart Bookmarks anyway. ff3 is a tad disappointing release ..

on my IMHO of Fedora 9, i think they have added way to many features to it, what will they do with fedora 10? there wont be any new features, just improvements.. im subscribed to the test-list i havent read any one reporting issues with packageKit, but then i may miss them, ..they should really do another Beta after this one IMO ,Time will tell what happens when the final is released, depending on this Beta close to the end of it they should be able to tell what happens with the final date
Old 21st March 2008, 11:21 AM
karlpiuemeno Offline

@demz firefox 3 has a lot of improvements.... every week it does better scores on acid3 test (yesterday 71/100) is faster and stable... the only problem is in bookmark manager...... it destroyed also my bookmarks...

Yes, fedora 9 is a great step towards usability for "newbies"
let's explain.... for me isn't a problem resizing partitions, installing applications, etc..... but for MANY newbies ubuntu is the right choise....

Fedora NOW is competitive to debian derives.. rpm always rocked like dpkg.... but yum sucked against apt-get..
now yum is faster, and package kit replaces pirut (an abort in usability)

But.. I'm sure that the release day, fedora 9 would have some bugs...... and will not be ready for "all"....for a couple of months, the best choise will be fedora 8 (love this release, is the best for me)

Tonight I was looking at koji releases....... they are working VERY VERY VERY hard... so let's wait..... I think this week will be very hot.
Incoming updates

Tags
beta, download, fedora, link, release