Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th March 2008, 05:16 AM
siufung Offline

Setting IP address

I recently install Fedora 8 for evaluation. The machine is connected in a local network. In order to access files and services from other machines within the the network, it is necessary to specify the IP address of the Fedora machine to allow access. Therefore, I would be appreciated if you can tell me where I can find the IP address of the Fedora machine. If possible, kindly also advise the procedure to set the IP address of the Fedora machine.

Thanks in advance,

Siu Fung
Old 18th March 2008, 05:47 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

You can use the graphical system-config-network tool. You can also manually edit /etc/sysconfig/networks-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (assuming eth0 is the card in question.)
Old 18th March 2008, 05:50 AM
ivancat Offline

well, if you have a static IP you should have known it. Otherwise you can try to obtain it automatically.

So, to connect to the Internet via local network, try: System>Administration>Network>New>Ethernet connection (here you specify which way to obtain IP and additional info (if needed)>Finish>Select that device>Activate
Ivan Cat (registered linux user #471784)
Linux Projects: constat | nconv
Fedora-related: Message In the Bottle
Old 18th March 2008, 07:13 AM
Skunk Worx Offline

Usually Fedora auto-configures to use DHCP for setting the IP address, and someone has set that service up on your LAN. Your machine should get an IP address automatically.

Open a terminal emulator (Applications->System Tools->Terminal) and check the output of the following command :

Code:
$ /sbin/ifconfig -a

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:9A:BD:9E:12:9F  
          inet addr:10.0.0.1  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
The output shows the device eth0 is "UP" and "RUNNING" on inet address 10.0.0.1

If you need to set the IP address manually your system administrator, or someone familiar with the LAN, tells you the value. You can set it via the menu option "System->Administration->Network", enter root password, then adjust the Static IP address for the device connected to the LAN. Finally, activate the interface and check the ifconfig command output (above) as a check.
registered linux user #192405
Note : i am usually not available in this forum Tuesday-Friday.

My Desktop Smolt

My Notebook Smolt
Small amount of personal info and notes about Fedora
Notes about Fedora, Java, JOGL and NeHe OpenGL Tutorials

Tags
address, setting