<---- template headericclude ----->
"Migrating" mail from Thunderbird to Evolution.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Migrating" mail from Thunderbird to Evolution.

Well, it's been a week since I got my laptop and I just finished hacking it and adding the final touches. This time around I've decided to give Evolution a chance and I'm willing to turn my primary e-mail client from Thunderbird in my workstation to Evolution on the laptop, however I do have more than a couple of questions. First of all, I have a LOT of e-mail that I'd hate losing, so I guess I'd like to know if Evolution is compatible with mail from Thunderbird, and what would be the best way to get it from A to B. Secondly I tend to have a LOT of mail filters set in Thunderbird to sort incoming e-mail on all my accounts to several different folders in the "Local Folders" area. Is there a safe way to copy them from Thunderbird to Evolution? If so, how?

TIA!
    If ain't broken, don't fix it! :eek:
    If can be improved, go for it! :cool:

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
    Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Wayne Guest
    Evolution and Thunderbird's mailboxes use the same format so you can actually easily copy them between them.... if you know where they're located

But, Evolution has an import function so you can import the individual TBird files... (File > Import > Forward > Import single file) You'll have to do it for each folder (Inbox, Sent, etc)

Wayne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume I will first have to actually create the individual mail acounts first? Or will the import process also create the accounts?
    If ain't broken, don't fix it! :eek:
    If can be improved, go for it! :cool:

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
    Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Wayne Guest
    I haven't used it as I started with Evolution, but it should import 'Inbox' (and the others main folders) as it is and will ask you where to put any subfolders of Inbox you have. Yes, you will have to create your mail account first. It will only import setting from older versions.

Wayne

Demz Guest
    you may want this how to speed up Evolution http://jkeating.livejournal.com/56147.html