Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th March 2008, 10:47 AM
duh Offline

Lost My Network Connection

I'm using Fedora 8, and it was able to connect to my network with DHCP. I'd like to set a static IP address to 169.254.1.102 (other workstations have addresses of 169.254.xxx.xxx and subnet of 255.255.0.0). So using the network manager I changed the settings to 169.254.1.102 and subnet of 255.255.0.0, then restarted the computer.

Fedora would display disconnected from network, so I changed my network settings back to DHCP and restarted. Still disconnected from network. I tried to activate my network card and it would display "determining ip information for eth0... failed!"

Please help.
Old 12th March 2008, 11:46 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

Are your primary and secondary dns settings correct?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 12th March 2008, 12:41 PM
Nokia Offline

1:FORGET ABOUT 169.254.x.x class. It has a very well defined purpose in IPv4 networking and it isn't intended for general use. Pick your range from either 10.0.0.0/8 192.168.0.0/24 or 172.16.0.0/16

2: If it's your home network and there's a router involved, make sure you reserve an IP address for each of the computers involved. You'll benefit from having the same IP everytime while still using DHCP

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 12th March 2008, 02:00 PM
duh Offline

glennzo, I didn't put any values in primary and secondary dns, just like before. The only thing I changed was my computer name, which is linuxws1@linux. This also worked before .

nokia, my network is in the office with 3 computers connected via network hub. How do I do what you're suggesting?

The reason I tried to assign static IP address is hopefully to eliminate the time it takes the Fedora to connect to the network, which it takes around 20 seconds.
Old 12th March 2008, 02:06 PM
Nokia Offline

What ? Network HUB ? not even a switch ? What's the next networking equipment beyond that "hub" ?

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 12th March 2008, 02:13 PM
duh Offline

none. it's only a simple network setup with no internet connection.
Old 12th March 2008, 02:16 PM
Iron_Mike Offline

Using NetworkManager in Fedora 8 will not allow the use of STATIC ip addressing. If you need to use STATIC ip addressing, disable the NM services in system ->administration ->services. Then goto system ->administration ->network, and setup the interfaces, usually uncheck the "controlled by NM" option if listed, add check marks "activate on boot", "allow users enable/disable device", "DHCP and DNS" options. Reboot...
Old 12th March 2008, 02:27 PM
duh Offline

Iron_Mike, if I disable NM services, how would I know if the connection to the network is successful? I already tried disabling NM then the network icon in the upper right portion of my desktop disappeared.

Anyway, will setting up a static IP remove the waiting time to connect to the network? If not then I'd like to set everything back the way it was (DHCP).

Edit: I switched everything back to original settings: uncheck controlled by NM, check activate when computer starts, set automatic IP via DHCP with check on the DNS option below. Still nothing.

Last edited by duh; 12th March 2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12th March 2008, 03:27 PM
forkbomb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh
Iron_Mike, if I disable NM services, how would I know if the connection to the network is successful?
You can use /sbin/ifconfig to check your network connection. System-config-network can be used. Once you're connected you shouldn't need an icon in the system tray - the connection should stay active indefinitely, right? So who needs a notifyer? (the system tray NM applet is a boon for wireless-enabled computers, though)

(I'm just wondering, though... 3 workstations on a hub. Why not just go with the regular old 192.168.1.xxx IP range?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh
I already tried disabling NM then the network icon in the upper right portion of my desktop disappeared.
That's the idea.

Again, I don't see what the big deal is. Use ifconfig to ascertain connectivity and then forget about it once you're good to go. It's a wired computer, so who needs an icon present at all times? Assuming status quo, an Ethernet connection shouldn't drop off without warning...
Old 12th March 2008, 03:48 PM
Iron_Mike Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh
Iron_Mike, if I disable NM services, how would I know if the connection to the network is successful? I already tried disabling NM then the network icon in the upper right portion of my desktop disappeared .
There is an network applet that you can add to the top panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh
Anyway, will setting up a static IP remove the waiting time to connect to the network? If not then I'd like to set everything back the way it was (DHCP).
It will. But more than likely when you were using NetworkManager and DHCP, the interface was ALSO set to "Activate on Boot" which it shouldn't be when using NM. When booting did you get a hang:

Bringing up interface ethX.............................................. ...............

Or something along those lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh
Edit: I switched everything back to original settings: uncheck controlled by NM, check activate when computer starts, set automatic IP via DHCP with check on the DNS option below. Still nothing.
Goto system ->administration ->network, does the interface show "active"? Open a terminal window and try to ping your router/gateway interface ip.
Old 13th March 2008, 02:05 AM
duh Offline

tjvanwyk, is it possible to change the ip range from 169.254.xxx.xxx to 192.168.xxx.xxx? i think the network hub is giving the ranges, and i don't know how to access it to change its settings.

iron_mike, i changed the settings to static ip, with activate on boot up. then on system>services, i disabled NetworkManager. I enabled network, which was disabled (was it disabled in the first place? i didn't touch this). now it's connected to the network where i can see my server files. is the cause of my problem the network service being disabled?
Old 13th March 2008, 02:09 AM
Nokia Offline

Every unconfigured OS will give eventually IP's in the 169.254.x.x range. My advice is: get a router over there.

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 13th March 2008, 12:53 PM
duh Offline

I won't touch my network settings anymore. I'm happy that it's working, and like what iron_mike said, Fedora was able to connect to the network without the wait, although without any notifications except in system>administration>network.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 13th March 2008, 01:02 PM
duh Offline

sorry if this is out of the topic. I noticed that transferring files from xp to fedora is faster (a little over a minute for a 50mb file) than mounting a network drive first then transfer (4 and a half minutes for same file). Was my observation correct?
Old 15th March 2008, 05:44 AM
duh Offline

found a solution in another forum. the option directio should be added in the mount command.

mount -t cifs //169.254.1.101/sis /home/wesley/sis -o directio

file transfer of 50mb is now a minute and a half.

Tags
connection, lost, network