Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th March 2008, 11:41 PM
kend650 Offline

FC4 to FC8 upgrade/install

Ok, I need some HELP!! I've been trying to upgrade my old Dell dual processor 1400 server from Fedora 4 to Fedora 8, but all I get are errors. I purchased a Fedora 8 i386 dvd from www.rustystechstuff.com and it worked great in replacing Windows xp on my Vaio FX-190 laptop, but all I get on my Dell is: “/usr/sbin/load_policy: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libsepol.so1: invalid ELF header” when I try to upgrade/install via the graphical interface and the same thing (different when I try to use the text mode install. I'm willing to completely delete and reformat the disks, since I have backups of the data. When I try to use yum to update, yum can't seem to find any valid repositories on the internet, or the repositories that are in /etc/yum/yum.repos.d directory are no longer valid (how do I update those???) . I realize that FC4 is no longer supported and am looking for a somewhat simple way of getting FC8 on my Dell. Also, I have a 'slow' connection via another Vaio (Windows XP/MCE) which is connected to the internet via a Verizon 5750 card. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kend650
Cave Creek, AZ
Old 12th March 2008, 03:05 AM
forkbomb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kend650
when I try to upgrade/install via the graphical interface and the same thing (different when I try to use the text mode install. I'm willing to completely delete and reformat the disks, since I have backups of the data.
So, which is it? Are you trying to upgrade or install? They're totally different things.

Officially speaking, upgrades using media I think are only "supported" if you go from version n to version n+1. Even if you somehow manage to get an upgrade to run from FC4 to F8, it might be horribly broken and then you'd be reinstalling anyway. I vote for a fresh install... a four version jump is quite radical. Plug in the ole' external hard drive and start chugging on data backup.

Quote:
When I try to use yum to update, yum can't seem to find any valid repositories on the internet, or the repositories that are in /etc/yum/yum.repos.d directory are no longer valid (how do I update those???) . I realize that FC4 is no longer supported and am looking for a somewhat simple way of getting FC8 on my Dell. Also, I have a 'slow' connection via another Vaio (Windows XP/MCE) which is connected to the internet via a Verizon 5750 card. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The reason yum isn't working on your FC4 box is precisetly that - it's out of service. I don't understand what you're asking. You acknowledge FC4 is out of date yet you are wondering why yum doesn't work? Forgive my confusion.
Old 12th March 2008, 08:02 AM
kend650 Offline

FC4 to FC8

I'd like to do a fresh install, but I can't get the cd to even begin the install.
Old 12th March 2008, 08:37 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Quote:
I purchased a Fedora 8 i386 dvd
Quote:
I'd like to do a fresh install, but I can't get the cd to even begin the install.
So, is this a CD or a DVD? You are trying to boot to the disk, right? I'd suspect a bad disk image, but you said you used it already on another machine, so.... The error is related to SELinux, so if you can at least get to the first screen of the installer, maybe starting the install with "linux selinux=off" or some such argument/option would help, not sure of the exact options though, I think you can press F1 or another key to get a list of options, look for one that disables SELinux.

Hope that helps.

V
Old 12th March 2008, 12:49 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Hmmm.

Hlingler has a pretty good question here. In a device that old ... are you sure that you've got a DVD capable drive?

Dan
Old 15th March 2008, 12:15 PM
birger Offline

I have a Dell Latitude X300. A pretty old Dell laptop. It's got a DVD drive, and I used a F8 DVD to install. No problem. Now, I'm trying to install F8 from the same DVD in a vmware guest on this same laptop, and I get the same error message that kend650 reports, but on a different library.

I get past the grub screen, and the kernel seems to boot, then anaconda asks me if I want to scan the DVD. After that I get the crash. I have used this DVD successfully on several systems, and it hasn't been out of the drive since I installed it on the laptop. Perhaps I was lucky...

I guess I should let the installer do that scan, and if it fails, try to scan it on another system.

Tags
fc4, fc8, upgrade or install