Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 8th March 2008, 09:37 PM
Xx r3negade Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 42
OpenGL doesn't work, nvidia does

A recent auto-update "updated" my NVIDIA drivers, and by "update" I mean completely screwed everything up.

-Whenever I try to enter runlevel 3 or any other low-res text based mode, the screen goes blank and stays that way, forcing me to shut down my computer.
-OpenGL doesn't work. At all. I can go to the NVIDIA control panel and adjust OpenGL settings; I can use the command
Code:
# lspci | grep VGA
to get
Code:
 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51 [Geforce 6150 Go] (rev a2)
. Also the NVIDIA logo is present when I first boot up. So it's pretty clear that NVIDIA works. But when I try and use some screensavers that previously worked, they won't show. When I go Preferences->Look and Feel->GL Desktop->Enable GL Desktop it "works" (e.g. it doesn't give me any error messages), but desktop effects won't work and nothing changes appearance-wise.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 8th March 2008, 10:52 PM
Vansolrick Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Age: 25
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx r3negade
A recent auto-update "updated" my NVIDIA drivers, and by "update" I mean completely screwed everything up.

-Whenever I try to enter runlevel 3 or any other low-res text based mode, the screen goes blank and stays that way, forcing me to shut down my computer.
-OpenGL doesn't work. At all. I can go to the NVIDIA control panel and adjust OpenGL settings; I can use the command
Code:
# lspci | grep VGA
to get
Code:
 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51 [Geforce 6150 Go] (rev a2)
. Also the NVIDIA logo is present when I first boot up. So it's pretty clear that NVIDIA works. But when I try and use some screensavers that previously worked, they won't show. When I go Preferences->Look and Feel->GL Desktop->Enable GL Desktop it "works" (e.g. it doesn't give me any error messages), but desktop effects won't work and nothing changes appearance-wise.
What's the output of :

Code:
 glxinfo
and
Code:
 cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
__________________
Previously known as 'WalmartSniperLX'

Please join me in the 'No thread left behind' Act, the quest to leave no thread left unanswered
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 8th March 2008, 11:16 PM
Xx r3negade Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 42
Code:
[root@localhost ~]# glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
Error: glXCreateContext failed

   visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
 id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0x23 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x24 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 None
0x25 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 16  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 None
0x26 24 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 16  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 None
0x27 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x28 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 None
0x29 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 16  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 None
0x2a 24 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 16  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 None
0x41 32 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 Ncon
Code:
[root@localhost ~]# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder26)  Fri Jan 11 14:26:48 PST 2008

# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath      "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "glx"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "us+inet"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Synaptics"
    Driver         "synaptics"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 110.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 150.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 8th March 2008, 11:28 PM
Vansolrick Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Age: 25
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx r3negade
Code:
[root@localhost ~]# glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
Error: glXCreateContext failed

   visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
 id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0x23 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x24 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 None
0x25 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 16  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 None
0x26 24 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 16  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 None
0x27 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x28 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 None
0x29 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 16  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 None
0x2a 24 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 16  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 None
0x41 32 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 Ncon
Code:
[root@localhost ~]# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder26)  Fri Jan 11 14:26:48 PST 2008

# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath      "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "glx"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "us+inet"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Synaptics"
    Driver         "synaptics"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 110.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 150.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
Hmm try adding

Code:
Load      "dri"
to the "Module" section and then do ctrl+alt+backspace
__________________
Previously known as 'WalmartSniperLX'

Please join me in the 'No thread left behind' Act, the quest to leave no thread left unanswered
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 9th March 2008, 01:03 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Connellsville, PA, USA
Posts: 11,294
You may also need to append the following section at the end of the file, otherwise, only root user can load the drivers:
Code:
Section "DRI"
        Mode         0666
EndSection
Make sure that there's a blank line at the end of the file, just in case....

V
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 9th March 2008, 04:56 AM
Xx r3negade Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 42
Sorry, but nothing changes, it still gives me the black screen of death in low-res mode (this includes when I press CTRL+ALT+Backspace), and it will not activate GLdesktop. glxinfo is still the same as well. Would it be possible to revert back to the older kernel so I could re-install the older driver?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 9th March 2008, 08:18 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Connellsville, PA, USA
Posts: 11,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx r3negade
Sorry, but nothing changes, it still gives me the black screen of death in low-res mode (this includes when I press CTRL+ALT+Backspace), and it will not activate GLdesktop. glxinfo is still the same as well. Would it be possible to revert back to the older kernel so I could re-install the older driver?
Yes, of course. Just reboot to the previous kernel. If you do not already have your bootloader set up to show the splash screen and boot choices, you need to do that first. If the "update" to the nvidia driver was only the install of a kmod for the new kernel, you should not need to uninstall the driver itself - the kmod for the previous kernel should still be installed and functioning when you boot the older kernel. If you did indeed get a new version of the nvidia driver too, hopefully it works with the previous kernel. Otherwise, you will have to uninstall the nvidia driver first. If so, you may also want to move/rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf to something like xorg.conf.backup, which will force a default file to be generated using the built-in 2D open-source video driver (named "nv").

V
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nvidia, opengl, work

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nVidia - no opengl after upgrade to FC6 akbowbender Hardware & Laptops 2 2nd November 2006 03:33 AM
FC4: Nvidia and OpenGL Supa Troopa Hardware & Laptops 2 2nd July 2005 02:04 AM


Current GMT-time: 07:03 (Saturday, 01-11-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat
Kukes Photos on Instagram - Zagan Travel Photos on Instagram - Velp Travel Photos on Instagram