Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd March 2008, 01:34 AM
bremsstrahlung Offline

Installing grub for dual boot of fc8 and vista.

Hey, Im what you'd call a linux newb, and although ive seen some similar info around i cant quite get it working so I thnough i'd ask away.

I was running vista on my dell inspison 1520 laptop, but i was always tinkering with the posibiility of linux. When my windows boot manager broke, i felt it was the perfect time to switch so I installed fedora 8 to a seperate partition. After a week or so i decided to make the change over completly but i wanted to rescue information from vista first, I felt the best was was to install vista to another partition so i could boot the old vista. This I've done, but windos boot manager wiped grub off. What i'd like to do now is to install grub to my fedora partition and chain load it from windows boot loader...but im not sure, any help would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance, mark
Old 3rd March 2008, 02:37 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

Read up on booting the Fedora DVD in rescue mode. That will allow you to restore the grub boot loader. Lots of info on rescue more in this forum.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 23rd May 2008, 06:45 PM
csonne Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremsstrahlung
Hey, Im what you'd call a linux newb, and although ive seen some similar info around i cant quite get it working so I thnough i'd ask away.

I was running vista on my dell inspison 1520 laptop, but i was always tinkering with the posibiility of linux. When my windows boot manager broke, i felt it was the perfect time to switch so I installed fedora 8 to a seperate partition. After a week or so i decided to make the change over completly but i wanted to rescue information from vista first, I felt the best was was to install vista to another partition so i could boot the old vista. This I've done, but windos boot manager wiped grub off. What i'd like to do now is to install grub to my fedora partition and chain load it from windows boot loader...but im not sure, any help would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance, mark
Hello Mark,

I also have a dell inspiron 1520 with the same combination activ.
What you have to do is the following:
1 Boot form rescue cd of dvd
2 it wil mount you linux pratition automatic
3 type the command chroot (the recover cd tell's the exact syntax) i'am not compleet sure whithout the manual. this command makes the mouted filesytem the root.
4 look into /boot/grub/grub.conf if your parameters are still correct.
5 recover the master boot record with grub-install /dev/hda or whatever your disk is

If you need more help it will start the procedure by my self so that i can tell you more in detail next time.

Greetings Christian.

Tags
boot, dual, fc8, grub, installing, vista