Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th February 2008, 07:24 PM
piga Offline

My Cheap Computer

My Monitor and Keyboard is from a Seniors Thrift Store. My Computer has an older than god Floppy drive. My Computer Chair is only being held up by a Dime put in a certain place (You got to pity the Queen now dont you)

This keyboard though is the best one I have ever had. It is USB, and has two USB ports on the keyboard itself. I was running out of USB ports until I got this! (And that was before I had the Joystick).
Old 29th February 2008, 07:38 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
If you run low on ports again, try a USB hub. They're cheap and handy. Last one I bought was about $7.00.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 29th February 2008, 07:46 PM
lazlow Offline

For most people it has become cheaper to buy a new computer than to pay someone to fix the old one. They have junk pickup days around here a couple of times a year. In a couple of hours I can usually find 30-40 computers. Bad PSU, memory, ide cables are common. Just full of dust and pet fur is also common. Sometime just removing everything and reinstalling does the trick. When Fall rolls around I usually sell these same computers for $300.
Old 29th February 2008, 07:55 PM
piga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlow
For most people it has become cheaper to buy a new computer than to pay someone to fix the old one.
What is this I hear about paying people to fix a computer?

I do not beleave in getting rid of old hardware. It is better to collect it as a backup or make a Dos Game machine!
Old 29th February 2008, 07:58 PM
piga Offline

The Thrift store was actually a great place to get hardware. We got two monitors, my nice keyboard, and a inkjet printer and scanner. All worked to. We payed less than fifteen dollars all in all. And that was including a Chair, and Pop corn popper, and a Tape player (The only thing we got that did not work. But for fifty cents...).
Old 29th February 2008, 10:17 PM
techmatt Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlow
For most people it has become cheaper to buy a new computer than to pay someone to fix the old one. They have junk pickup days around here a couple of times a year. In a couple of hours I can usually find 30-40 computers. Bad PSU, memory, ide cables are common. Just full of dust and pet fur is also common. Sometime just removing everything and reinstalling does the trick. When Fall rolls around I usually sell these same computers for $300.

I do the same thing, although sadly that is how I got my computer. It's a real P.O.S.

Registered Linux user number 433760
Old 1st March 2008, 12:42 AM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

Who cares where you got your computer from and how much it cost as long as it does what you want it to do and you're happy with it.

Heck, if I'd find a PC for under £100 that'd built the way I want to - I'd be in 7th heaven!

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 1st March 2008, 07:42 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

Making good use of old equipment that people discard is great. I've found perfectly good PIII machines and monitors next to the dumpster in my apartment complex. I've cleaned them up, put in some spare parts I had laying around, and given them to people who didn't have computers.