Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th February 2008, 05:25 AM
Andrico Offline

Compiz-Fusion but no Emerald [resolved]

I have compiz-fusion, emerald, and emerald-themes installed on my machine. Whether I launch compiz via the GL desktop button in my prefferences menu or if I use the fusion icon, or even if I start it from the terminal, emerald refuses to boot. Running "compiz --replace emerald --replace" yields the result "compiz (core) - Error: Couldn't load plugin 'emerald'" I'm sure I have emerald installed, I've set the window decorator to on, and in the window decorator commands, I've used emerald --replace. Any help? BTW, there really should be a fedorasolved article on this, don't you think? I've seen this error all over the net, but none of them in this variation.

Last edited by Andrico; 29th February 2008 at 07:01 AM. Reason: The problem is resolved.
Old 29th February 2008, 06:40 AM
matth45 Offline

Just a wild guess, but that can happen if you have miss-matched versions of compiz and emerald. Did you install everything from the fedora repository?

On my system (which works) I have:
Code:
$ rpm -q emerald compiz compiz-fusion
emerald-0.5.2-2.fc8
compiz-0.6.2-3.fc8
compiz-fusion-0.6.0-12.fc8
When you execute emerald --replace, do you get any output on the console? Do you get any error messages when you start compiz from the console? What hardware are you using? Have you set up your xorg.conf correctly? etc etc...

Try removing everything compiz related and reinstalling from the fedora repository.
Old 29th February 2008, 07:00 AM
Andrico Offline

Hey thanks. Actually, I removed everything from fedora, then followed leigh's guide. Then, I added fusion-icon as a startup application, and violla, everything was solved.

Tags
compizfusion, emerald