Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd February 2008, 05:21 PM
flies Offline

scsi pci card not working

Hi, i'm running the latest version of fedora on a brand new dell optiplex 755 (core 2 quad processor)

I'm having trouble getting my adaptec aha-2940u PCI card to work. I should say right out that i'm an inexperienced linux user, although i understand the basics and am in general 'computer competent'. I know, for instance, that this card is supposed to use a aic7xxx driver which i is already included in my fedora build (a very vanilla build).

It's working somewhat - I can enter the BIOS when i reboot, and it even detects the name of the device I attach to it (which is an arcane thing: CAMAC crate controller - physicists use a 40 year old IEEE protocol for ADC's and other tasks. the crate talks to the computer via a 'crate controller' which connects to the computer via scsi. I'm sure the crate controller works cuz it was working on another, older, windows machine). However, after it detects the jorway crate controller, it says,

"
Int 13h Device Not Found
BIOS not installed
"

I am unaware even of a way to see if the hardware is detected once i'm in linux. I konw test programs I downloaded for talkign to the jorway aren't working, they say there's an 'error finding generic scsi device', which I know is a message generated specifically by the test program cuz i have the source code.

what can I do? perhaps more important at this stage is what do you need to know to help me?

thanks in advance.
Old 23rd February 2008, 12:29 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by flies
Int 13h Device Not Found
BIOS not installed
That's normal, if you're not booting off a drive connected to the SCSI card. I assume you're booting off an IDE or SATA drive.

In Linux, you could either load the aic7xxx module manually (modprobe aic7xxx) or build it directly into the kernel. Run /sbin/lsmod to see which modules are loaded.

I've been using an Adaptec 2940UW for years in Fedora with no problem.
Old 26th February 2008, 05:19 PM
flies Offline

that sounds like good advice, but....

why isn't modprobe recognized?

Code:
[minerva@tesla example]$ modprobe aic7xxx
bash: modprobe: command not found
[minerva@tesla example]$ which modprobe
/usr/bin/which: no modprobe in (/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/lib64/ccache:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/minerva/bin:.:/home/minerva/bin:.)
[minerva@tesla example]$ lsmod
bash: lsmod: command not found
[minerva@tesla example]$ which lsmod
/usr/bin/which: no lsmod in (/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/lib64/ccache:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/minerva/bin:.:/home/minerva/bin:.)
i tried executing this commands as root as well, same null result. insmod and rmmod are also missing. friggin tcsh is missing. I am clearly teh n008zOr.

plz to help me escape my ignorance
Old 26th February 2008, 05:23 PM
flies Offline

modprobe missing?

I'm a noob. I apparently need to use modprobe to install a particular module to use a particular piece of hardware (see http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...792#post969792 for optional background)

however modprobe doesn't seem to be available, nor does lsmod, insmod, rmmod, leaving me confused. also, basics like tcsh are missing. is there a package i need to download?

I am running up-to-date fedora on a brand new dell optiplex 755
Old 26th February 2008, 05:24 PM
RobertoVanto Offline

whereis modprobe
Old 26th February 2008, 05:33 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Hello:

Those commands are generally available and usable only to the root user (aka super-user, system administrator, etc.). You must run them as root user.

Regards,
V
Old 26th February 2008, 05:44 PM
flies Offline

whereis found it, thanks! i wasn't aware of that command.

i found modprobe in /sbin/ . is there a reason not to put /sbin/ in PATH?
Old 26th February 2008, 05:48 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Hello:

Yes: the command will fail if you are not root user, since only root user can load kernel modules. That's why normal users by default don't have /sbin or /usr/sbin in their PATH.

Regards,
V
Old 26th February 2008, 06:02 PM
flies Offline

ok, so modprobe is in /sbin/, as is lsmod.

so once i've got the aic7xxx module loaded, is there some simple way to test whether the computer sees the hardware and the two are getting along, all friendly-like?
Old 26th February 2008, 06:03 PM
flies Offline

cool, thanks.
Old 26th February 2008, 06:09 PM
Dan Online
Administrator