Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st December 2009, 08:35 AM
Darian Offline

macossafari
Hello. I'm from Romania and do not speak good English. Translate using Google and hope to express myself as coherent. I have an Apple PowerMac G4 computer, with configuration: dual processor PowerPC G4 867 MHz, 1 GB RAM, 32 MB video card NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 420, 80 GB HDD.
I wanted to install Fedora 12, I downloaded the 6 CD's (my system has no DVD burner), but could not. At boot, I get the message: "Waiting for hardware to initialize ..." and not continue. I tried nomodeset parameter, but in this case to install in text mode, without GUI. What can I do to get into graphic mode? In text mode can not do anything, everything is at minimum.
I hope not bother you and thank you in advance.
Old 26th December 2009, 01:20 AM
LughClyde Offline

windows_7ie
12 G3 Installation

I'm having similar problems as our Romanian friend...

I have a G3 iMac (Summer 2001). I downloaded all 6 iso files for 12. Once I learned that the checksum file was wrong about SHA1 and finally used the correct SHA256, all the files check out fine. I burnt them to CDs and they all verified properly.

When I boot the first CD on the iMac, it boots fine. When it wants to test the disc, it always fails. When I have it skip the test it claims to find the hardware but will blank the screen after about a minute. The CD makes sounds for a little longer. After that, nothing. It won't go any further.

All this hardware worked just fine with OS X. I was even successful installing Debian on it. Well, I got it installed, but never got networking working under Debian. That was a deal breaker. So, I'm trying Fedora 12 PPC, but haven't even got to the basics of the installation.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or suggestions?

Thanks,
Clyde

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM CST ----------

Oh yeah... It works the same for Disc 1 as it does for the Network Install Disc.

Thanks,
Clyde
Old 26th December 2009, 08:23 PM
Darian Offline

linuxkonqueror
Quote:
Originally Posted by LughClyde View Post
I'm having similar problems as our Romanian friend...

I have a G3 iMac (Summer 2001). I downloaded all 6 iso files for 12. Once I learned that the checksum file was wrong about SHA1 and finally used the correct SHA256, all the files check out fine. I burnt them to CDs and they all verified properly.

When I boot the first CD on the iMac, it boots fine. When it wants to test the disc, it always fails. When I have it skip the test it claims to find the hardware but will blank the screen after about a minute. The CD makes sounds for a little longer. After that, nothing. It won't go any further.

All this hardware worked just fine with OS X. I was even successful installing Debian on it. Well, I got it installed, but never got networking working under Debian. That was a deal breaker. So, I'm trying Fedora 12 PPC, but haven't even got to the basics of the installation.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or suggestions?

Thanks,
Clyde

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM CST ----------

Oh yeah... It works the same for Disc 1 as it does for the Network Install Disc.

Thanks,
Clyde
You exposed a similar problem with mine. I found no solution. I tried other parameters: xdriver = vesa, graphical, expert, video = ofonly, lowres and nothing worked, I got every time the screen is blank or the installation of the text. It stands in the way?
Old 26th January 2010, 11:10 PM
jsclipse

linuxfedorafirefox
Ppc g5

I had no install issues with fedora 12 PPC when installing on a G5. I did have a DVD version. I believe a DVD install is best and second only to a USB install. The 4.3 gigs of install information leaves little room for error. A version of Fedora 12 on DVD is about $4 American. There should be a redistribution of install dvd media. I haven't touched my install DVD since loading it. Perhaps you could find someone nearby who has a DVD copy.

jsc
Old 17th February 2010, 10:46 PM
oswaldkelso Offline

linuxdebianmozilla
Blank screen on ppc mac

Blank screen on ppc mac is a common problem since the new magix Xorg. I fails miserable on many PPC macs. Now we get a blank Xorg.conf particularly old imacs. There are many differing versions depending on which model. ymmmv

http://oswaldkelso.blogspot.com/2009...-versions.html

There are also emac 1ghz xorg.xonf

http://oswaldkelso.blogspot.com/2009...ian-lenny.html
Old 23rd February 2010, 02:16 PM
Darian Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Hello. I managed to install Fedora 12 PPC, version 6 CDs. I tried combinations of parameters to boot and found the combination that works for my configuration: linux xdriver = nv video = ofonly resolution = 1600x1200 nomodeset. With this combination, the installation went smoothly, we were able to choose and desktop environment, software packages to be installed, etc..

I hope to be useful to others who have a system like mine and want to install Fedora 12.
Old 4th January 2011, 05:48 PM
runnerman56 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora PPC guide...

Hi everybody, I just installed Fedora 12 on my PowerMac G5. Everything works except for my nVidia Geforce FX 5200 Ultra. Installed the rpmfusion repos but when I try 'yum install kmod-nvidia-173xx' it says no package available.

I guess my questions is, Are there 64 bit PPC nvidia drivers available? Anybody have any experience installing nvidia drivers on a G5?
Old 8th January 2011, 10:41 AM
Gigio Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerman56 View Post
Are there 64 bit PPC nvidia drivers available?
No. Only open source drivers are available for PPC.

Fedora 12 is quite outdated now. You may consider installing an alternative distro such as Ubuntu, or waiting until the release of Fedora 15 PPC.
Old 27th January 2011, 01:01 PM
Darian Offline

windows_vistasafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigio View Post
...or waiting until the release of Fedora 15 PPC.
Interesting, I thought that Fedora no longer supports PPC architecture. Fedora 15 PPC will be formal or informal support (such as the Ubuntu PPC)?
Anyway, I look back on my Mac.
Old 27th January 2011, 09:00 PM
leigh123linux

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darian View Post
Interesting, I thought that Fedora no longer supports PPC architecture. Fedora 15 PPC will be formal or informal support (such as the Ubuntu PPC)?
Anyway, I look back on my Mac.

There is no official ppc support and I doubt any new install media will be released.
Old 17th February 2012, 07:00 PM
AltGrendel Offline

macosfirefox

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora..._release_notes

Latest and greatest.
Old 28th May 2013, 04:27 PM
gusduenas Offline

macossafari

Hello guys I've recently download f18 and I attempt to see it yesterday (bad experiences with kubuntu-ubuntu distros and its problems witn nvidia cards) and it tells me that it needs at leats 1280 mb and I have 1024 to have the graphic or image....is that ram? I do have 1gb ram and it doesn't bother ubuntu installs...also when it send me to text interface and I try to install fedora, it crashes after step 2, I mean choosing where to install it...don't get it I have a ful hd with 150gb free and it looks that it will go to black screen and terminates andf then it reboots by itself....how cna I install it or it is impossible?
I have a ppc g5 dual 2.0GHZ 1gb ram with nvidia geforce 660 256mb video card and apple cinema monitor....any help will be appreciated.

I need it to make it dual boot, I've already have leopard installed.

Tags
fedora, guide, ppc