Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th February 2008, 07:46 PM
spike_oki Offline

Angry Can't connect to wireless G Router

Hi, I have configured my wireless router right with WPA. I can't get FC 7 to connect to a wireless connection using WPA. If I diable it it works, but when enabled it doesn't. I don't want to be unprotected. AND YES MY DRIVERS ARE INSTALLED AND WORKING. WORKS FINE WITH OTHER WIRELESS CONNECTIONS. Can anyone help me please.
Old 11th February 2008, 08:05 PM
jtang613 Offline

Do you have the NetworkManager and wpa_supplicant services installed and running? (I'm not sure if wpa_supplicant is even required anymore, but it certainly doesn't hurt).

Once the NM services are running, a good way to troubleshoot is to start small and enable progressively more security settings on your router - restarting NM every time.

For example, disable all security of your router and enable SSID broadcast. Restart NM. Your access point (AP) should be visible in the NM applet and you should be able to connect no prob.

Next, enable simple 40-bit WEP on your AP. Restart NM and try to reconnect. This should work no prob.

Then move on to simple WPA. Again, restart NM after your make the changes to you AP. This step is not normally required for day-to-day use, but since we're debugging, it's a must. If you can see and connect to WPA at this point, try other things like disabling SSID broadcast (you'll need to connect manually now), or higher forms of WPA encryption.

As with all debugging, start small, have patience and the problem will reveal itself.

Other info you can provide us:
Code:
/sbin/ifconfig
/sbin/lspci
or if using a USB wifi adapter
/sbin/lsusb
Old 11th February 2008, 08:13 PM
spike_oki Offline

thank i got it to work now. i wasn't using network manager. earlier this day i installed all the updates for nm and just about five min ago i started the service and it found it. so i configured the wpa2 on it and got it to connect. um when i use nm does that replace the system config network? or does this configure the system config network with the settings needed?
Old 11th February 2008, 08:22 PM
jtang613 Offline

For wireless especially, NM is pretty much a replacement. But for your eth0 device, it's still a good idea to make sure your system-config-network settings are valid.

Tags
connect, router, wireless