Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th February 2008, 05:07 AM
PuGZoR Offline

Fedora 8 vs. Asus M3A

Hey dudes and dudettes...

Just got a new rig, and was going to attempt to change over to Fedora 8 from Windo'hs for the first time since a fresh install is needed. Anyway, I'll be running an Asus M3A motherboard, AMD Phenom 9500 CPU (yew yew, quad core!), 2gb of Geil 1066mhz RAM, 2x 400gb SATAII HDD's, and a Palit 8600GTS PCI-Express videocard.

Just wanted to ask: With this setup, what's the likelyhood that installation will go alright? Any known compatibility issues? I know there are Nvidia drivers available for the gfx card, just not sure how F8 will handle that particular mobo/cpu combo. Lan drivers should install fine, aye? It's gigabit onboard lan....

Sorry if this is the wrong section, etc... installed Fedora 8 on a server here at work and I likes it a lot, so yeah, that's why I'm interested in putting it on my home PC. It really is a credit to the community...
Old 8th May 2008, 02:16 PM
OralDeckard Offline

Zero. If you got it from NewEgg you can send it back and loose just the shipment and restocking fee. They exchange very well.

Your board has an ATI chipset, with an SB600 South Bridge for the disk controler. That means it won't recognize your Drives. Sorry. Do a search on SB600 and read the horrors.

I know because I bought the same settup, differing only in it being 4 GB of Geil RAM. After I sent it back for a Gigabyte board I got the same thing. Now I'm about to send the Gigabyte board back for one with an nVidea chipset.

With F8, you are told during installation that you have no hard drives installed. With F9 Preview, you can install, but when you reboot it will be unable to find your drives. Even when I defined the SATAs as EDEs, and even when I attached a real IDE, it failed. Some have gotten it to work by adding "pci-nomsi" as a boot parameter in Grub. That has not worked for me.
Old 8th May 2008, 02:23 PM
OralDeckard Offline

Uh, your post is dated much before my horror story. How did it go ?

Tags
asus, fedora, m3a