Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th February 2008, 04:28 AM
Chaos1EE7 Offline

Oh I cant get past the harddisk format. It says they cannot recognize the partition table. So It only gives me the options of wiping the whole thing out.
Old 12th February 2008, 06:56 AM
billb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos1EE7
Oh I cant get past the harddisk format. It says they cannot recognize the partition table. So It only gives me the options of wiping the whole thing out.
If you are referring to this stage of the install, the PS3 Game OS portion of the hard drive will not be affected in any way. So feel free to tell it to "wipe the whole thing". Just make sure it isn't referring to an attached memory card or USB drive.

The PS3's internal hard drive should show up as ps3da, I think.
Old 26th February 2008, 11:26 PM
NeighborMike Offline

Ok firstly to start out the problem might be what im trying to install.
IM trying to install fedora 8 which I got here:
http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

Now something I may be missing is the proper bootloader..off top i dont recall where i downloaded it from, but i just googled it so it may not be working probably...

Ok anyway heres whats going on...

Basically from what I see these are the steps so far:

Format your HD - 10gb to other OS

Put in bootloader-installer-restart with other OS...

Turn on ps3-pop in linux disk...

Ok so whats what im going up to this point but whats happining is this. It boots to the kboot screen says a bunch of stuff, then says

Sending Discover...
Sending discover.
sending discover.
dont understand actiion "leasefail"
No lease, failing
kboot:

What could i be doing wrong? Something that no one specified in this thread was the proper place to get the bootloader, so possibly i have the wrong one.

What could be going wrong?

Also do i have to keep re-doing these steps everytime i hold the power button down till it beeps twice?

I tried to avoid these problems and just use the linux64 video command...i thought it was working, got past the screen, then asked me to reboot and took me right back to the screen I was at to begin with.
Old 29th February 2008, 05:42 AM
billb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborMike
Ok firstly to start out the problem might be what im trying to install.
IM trying to install fedora 8 which I got here:
First, you're in the wrong thread -- see this one for Fedora 8.

Quote:
What could i be doing wrong? Something that no one specified in this thread was the proper place to get the bootloader, so possibly i have the wrong one.
Where to get the bootloader is clearly specified in the first post of this How to... maybe you responded in the wrong thread?
Old 2nd March 2008, 10:41 PM
essence Offline

Hey man, i followed your script to the t, installed petitboot, shows a cd to the left with several options at the bottom

0=safemode, 1=720, 2=1080p, 3 = 1080i, 4 = gameOS

i try 0, it just keeps toggling between the CLI with errors reading " invalid argument, unable to mount..." then switches back to the GUI. I tried 1 for 720, it completely blanked my screen - of which i understand why. I was able to push f1 which loads up the CLI/prompt, here's my Q, is there a way to install fc7 directly from the prompt rather than running the GUI? oh yeah, install-fc sda is not recognized. Please assist, on another thread i toyed with kboot but proved unstable and unusable
Old 2nd March 2008, 11:26 PM
essence Offline

ok, after a little tweaking, i finally get the cd to show up in the GUI, upon selecting it reveals two options:

linux 64
linux 32

Selecting linux 64 forces a "booting linux64..." to appear below, its been this wau\y for nearly 30minutes, am i missing something here?

petitboot, FC 7 dvd.iso, ps3 40g + 40g ext usb

Last edited by essence; 2nd March 2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 3rd March 2008, 04:57 AM
billb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by essence
ok, after a little tweaking, i finally get the cd to show up in the GUI, upon selecting it reveals two options:

linux 64
linux 32

Selecting linux 64 forces a "booting linux64..." to appear below, its been this wau\y for nearly 30minutes, am i missing something here?

petitboot, FC 7 dvd.iso, ps3 40g + 40g ext usb
Hi, after seeing your post I decided to check out the install process using the latest petitboot. I'm having the same issue -- it appears to hang at "booting linux64..." It still boots my existing install of Fedora 7 on my USB flash drive with no problem, though.

I'm going to double-check the latest bootloader from the Cell Addon CD now ...

UPDATE:

After installing the CELL-Linux-CL_20080201-ADDON version of the bootloader as described in this guide (1st post) and successfully starting the install with:

linux64 video=720p

I'm going to remove the link to the petitboot version. I'm not sure what the problem is with it, but as I mentioned I had the same results with this version. The original version of petitboot worked OK.

Last edited by billb; 3rd March 2008 at 05:16 AM.
Old 3rd March 2008, 06:59 PM
essence Offline

bill, thanks. I will rerun that route once i get S3 going again - i figured since petitboot worked only with ubuntu(as shown in it's respective page), i loaded my thoughts with hope and tried gibbon on it ... let's just say S3's stuck on the petitboot installer page, regardless of all combinations of timed resetting. I am on a brief hiatus, if u have any tip i'd appreciate, else i'll be reformatting shortly after assuming command of the box and will try kboot again with your walkthrough, i think i parsed files from different sources and tried compiling em all.

I will keep updating, as i found it almost impossible to find more aid online. I guess showing one the door alone is enough, eh?

edit: since it was stuck in a freeze loop booting to petitboot GUI, a well timed reboot followed by the delete key got me back in gameOS session. I reformatted partitioning all to S3, i will re-partition for one last go @ fC 7 with kboot loader

Last edited by essence; 3rd March 2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 4th March 2008, 02:34 AM
billb Offline

Quote:
edit: since it was stuck in a freeze loop booting to petitboot GUI, a well timed reboot followed by the delete key got me back in gameOS session. I reformatted partitioning all to S3, i will re-partition for one last go @ fC 7 with kboot loader
It may be too late for this, but you don't have to re-partition from the Game OS every time. From the Game OS you just need to install the proper boot loader (which installs in the PS3's flash memory).

Then boot to the OtherOS to start the installer at the kboot prompt. Enter the command before it starts loading anything else. During installation you'll get to a partition setup screen where you can delete any existing Linux partitions and create the default layout (or your own).

Also, if you ever get stuck just hold down the front power button on the PS3 for about 10 seconds -- until it proceeds to turn itself off. If that doesn't work you can use the switch on the back (although this is not the recommended method). With the PS3 completely off, turn it on using the switch on the back, then hold down the front power button for more than 5 seconds. This will reset the boot flag so it loads the Game OS, and also resets the factory default audio/video settings.

Good luck!
Old 4th March 2008, 05:36 AM
essence Offline

ahh thanks again, i may be the one complicating things here. I reloaded with kboot, ran the video set command, anaconda loads, then all hell breaks loose.

after going through most of the setup, i get to a screen asking i point to the where the iso is located, of the list, i have

cdrom
harddrive
ftp
http
nfs

cdrom dosn't work, for me that is.

Here's my version, requires only a usb drive.

copy the iso to a usb drive, include the PS3[otheros] folders in the drive,

install other os, switch boot to other os, reboot playstation

Once PS boots up, using the linux64 video=ps3fb:mode:x, launch the gui/installer

Here's the cool part, once prompted to point installer to iso or install media, of the options available,

cdrom
harddrive
nfs
ftp
http

simply selecting harddrive(note, i wasn't able to load/mount my ps3a hd, using usb external drive) should pull up sda1 or whatever /dev pick. Once you find the hard drive, click on it, and point to the .iso, and voila! sit back and enjoy 3hours of ...

I am posting this here as a work around for individuals following the aforementioned direction(s) by the thread starter, should you find yourself in my predicament, follow these steps... besides, extra giggs don't hurt.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i even went as far as creating two partitions on a usb drive, stored all the required installer package(s) in one partition, left the other free, installed.

Symptoms?

During the quick splash screen, i get a snippet error showing " no valid partition found on
ps3a."

What am i doing wrong here? i mean, i even had kboot load up, tried going in there to mount the cdrom drive, it says "we don't support booting from /dev//cdrom yet"

fdisk -l shows the two partitions for the usb drive, only!

sda1
sda2

sda1 set to fat32
sda2 set to ntfs

good luck folks, now to go put some hours in...

edit: btw, we ought to find another way of resetting the s3. It dosn't follow the timed reset mode - as in holding the power down for x amount of time - tried that several times(held down following the second beep, then shuts off) boots back up to kboot or whichever installer i had @ the moment on the s3. So, i think it isn't singular, there ought to be another way of testing this out - now shutting it down from the back as you suggested, that would be worth a try, not if but when next this happens to me.

- essense

Last edited by essence; 4th March 2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 4th March 2008, 05:20 PM
billb Offline

Quote:
after going through most of the setup, i get to a screen asking i point to the where the iso is located, of the list, i have

cdrom
harddrive
ftp
http
nfs

cdrom dosn't work, for me that is.
That sounds like a problem with your install DVD.

Quote:
Here's my version, requires only a usb drive.
Cool ... I haven't tried doing it that way -- installing from USB drive. Sorry, I may not have enough coffee in me yet. Did this work OK so you can boot normally not, or not? You're installing to the internal drive, right?

Quote:
edit: btw, we ought to find another way of resetting the s3. It dosn't follow the timed reset mode - as in holding the power down for x amount of time - tried that several times(held down following the second beep, then shuts off) boots back up to kboot or whichever installer i had @ the moment on the s3. So, i think it isn't singular, there ought to be another way of testing this out - now shutting it down from the back as you suggested, that would be worth a try, not if but when next this happens to me.
Sounds like you are missing the important step -- while it is OFF, you hold down the front power button for more than 5 seconds to turn it ON -- that is when it changes back to factory defaults for the boot flag and audio/video settings.
Old 4th March 2008, 05:40 PM
essence Offline

no, installing to external drive. Unable to read the partition on my ps3a, says invalid. It's been installing since 11p last night, it's 11am now, i'll keep you updated - i would hope the bootloader points to the usb during boot,.

Ah, will do. I will try doing this(using the reset method)

844 of 975...
Old 4th March 2008, 07:40 PM
billb Offline

Quote:
no, installing to external drive. Unable to read the partition on my ps3a, says invalid. It's been installing since 11p last night, it's 11am now, i'll keep you updated - i would hope the bootloader points to the usb during boot,.

Ah, will do. I will try doing this(using the reset method)

844 of 975...
I have installed to an external USB hard drive before (a Maxtor OneTouch USB 2.0) and everything appeared to go OK until I tried to boot from it. It looks like it wants to install a driver for the hard drive controller (HPT 370x ?) -- I forget what the exact error message was. I didn't mess with it any more after that, though.

When I install to my 8 GB USB flash drive I don't have any problems booting from that. It is quite slow, however. I got the cheapest 8GB USB flash drive I could find ...

I have also used a combination of a fast 4 GB compact flash card and a 1 GB USB flash drive combined using LVM (the installer sets it up for you). The CF card wouldn't show up by itself during the install process unless I had the 1 GB USB flash drive inserted also. Seems like that install was faster than my current setup with the single 8 GB USB flash drive.
Old 4th March 2008, 08:28 PM
essence Offline

Success! Thanks again billb, i am using an Olympus S-HD-100, it's a 40gigg usb external hd/sata docking station connect for laptops. I must admit, of the people complaining of slow/lag processing, i am not experiencing any so far - it is actually impressive. It boots off the external drive fine, crisp visuals for a sdtv

I pushed to stop a couple of services (snagging some off your list), after about three or four trivial ones, i just pushed enter the way through

Funny, mine's the reverse, i can't access the alloted partition on the ps3a for other system.

Thanks again, now to go find/write a driver for that ps3 remote. I've seen some good codes lately

edit: do you have a link to your roms/emu briefing?
Old 4th March 2008, 09:29 PM
billb Offline

Quote:
edit: do you have a link to your roms/emu briefing?
I'm not sure which post you're referring to ... I'm beginning to think that posting howto guides might be better suited to a personal blog type format instead of various forums, so I started a PS3 / Linux related blog here.

I did have a post here on fedoraforum that mentioned some emulators and was a start for this guide, but my blog post expands on it quite a bit.

EDIT:

Oh, and that is good news on your USB hard drive install. I guess it is just my particular enclosure that was the problem. Maxtor ... it figures ...

Tags
fedora, install, ps3